Finding the Local Maximum Point for f(x)=xe^(-ax)

In summary, the function f(x) = xe^-ax has a local maximum point and its coordinates can be expressed as (-1/a, -1/e). To find this point, the derivative of f(x) must be taken using the product rule, and then set equal to 0 to solve for x.
Joza
Local maximum point...

Homework Statement

f(x)=xe TO THE POWER OF -ax x E R a > o

Show that f(x) has a local maximum and express this point's coordinates in terms of a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think dy/dx = -axe TO THE POWER OF -ax

Correct?

I don't know where to go after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivative is wrong. Remember the product rule?

Oh product...

Ok so... xe^-ax + e^-ax(1)

Is that right?

You used to have a (-a) in front of the first term. Where did that go? I liked it.

Ok, I mie be wrong here.

(u)dv/dx + (v)du/dx

So... (x)-ae^-ax + e^-ax( 1) = -axe^-ax + e^-ax

Correct?

Finally! Rest of the problem is easy, right?

I let it = 0 and solve to get values for x?

I think so. Correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

Now, Dick, have you ever been wrong?

More times than I can count. I was betting on the Bears last night.

What is a local maximum point?

A local maximum point is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest value in a certain interval, but not necessarily the highest value overall. This means that there may be points on the graph that have a higher value, but they are not within the specified interval.

How can you identify a local maximum point on a graph?

A local maximum point can be identified by looking for a peak or crest on a graph. It is where the slope of the function changes from positive to negative. Another way to identify a local maximum point is by checking the first and second derivatives of the function, which should be equal to 0 and negative, respectively, at the point.

What is the significance of a local maximum point in a function?

A local maximum point is significant because it can provide information about the behavior of a function. It can indicate the presence of a peak or a turning point in the function, and can also help determine the overall shape of the graph.

Can a function have more than one local maximum point?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maximum points. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks or when there are multiple intervals where the function reaches its highest value. However, there can only be one global maximum point, which is the highest point on the entire graph.

How does the value of a local maximum point compare to the value of a global maximum point?

The value of a local maximum point is always less than or equal to the value of the global maximum point. This is because the global maximum point is the highest point on the entire graph, while a local maximum point is only the highest point within a specific interval.