Finding a Local Star Like Ours: 10-50 LY Radius

In summary, the writer is working on a science fiction novel with a focus on keeping the science aspects realistic. They are looking for a star within a 10 to 50 light year radius that fits the criteria of being a G2 type, main sequence, dwarf star. Some potential options include Epsilon Eridani, Tau Ceti, Epsilon Indi, 82 Eridani, and Eta Cassiopeiae A. The writer also suggests researching the "HabCat" catalog for additional options.
MDW
I'm a writer working on my first novel. The genre is science fiction and I'm trying to keep the science part of it as close to the realm of possibility as I can.

The setting is in a smaller system about 10 to 50 light years of our system.
Can someone name a star and its location that is of the same type (G2, main sequence, dwarf) found within that 10 to 50 LY radius? I don't think Sirius or Alpha Centauri will work. I'm more than willing to research several stars located within this range; Even binaries if one star of the binary fits the criteria.
Until we get good enough to find other habitable planets I feel good about "fictionizing" planets orbiting a real star that can be found on a chart.

Thanks for your research,

MD Watson

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you Google for "nearest stars" you'll get some good lists that also have the spectral type. A couple are:

Epsilon Eridani (K2V - which actually has planets, but also a decent protoplanetary disk)
Tau Ceti (G8V)
Epsilon Indi (K5V)
82 Eridani (G8V)
Eta Cassiopeiae A (G2V - the companion is a K7V out on a 480 year orbit)

You might also look up "HabCat" on Google too. It was made by SETI people out of the Hipparcos catalog, and is a catalog of nearby stars that could potentially have habitable planets.

Last edited:

1. How do scientists search for local stars like ours?

Scientists use various methods to search for local stars like ours, including surveys of nearby star systems, studying the chemical composition and spectral data of stars, and using advanced telescopes and instruments to detect potential candidates.

2. What criteria do scientists use to determine if a star is similar to ours?

Scientists look for stars that are similar in size, mass, temperature, and age to our Sun. They also consider the star's metallicity, which is the amount of elements other than hydrogen and helium present in its atmosphere.

3. How many local stars like ours have been discovered so far?

As of now, there are over 100 local stars that scientists have identified as similar to our Sun. However, there could be many more that have not yet been discovered.

4. What are the potential benefits of finding a local star like ours?

Finding a local star like ours could provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our own solar system. It could also help us understand the habitability of other planets and potentially discover new Earth-like worlds.

5. Is it possible for a local star like ours to have habitable planets?

Yes, it is possible for a local star like ours to have habitable planets. In fact, our own solar system is a prime example of this, with Earth being the only known planet to support life. Other local stars could also have habitable planets, depending on their size, composition, and distance from the star.