Help with Understanding Locally Compact Spaces & Subspaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between compactness and local compactness, with the latter being a weaker assertion. The conversation also provides a hint for showing that the subspace Q of rational numbers is not locally compact by considering an irrational point in the neighborhood and using limit point compactness. The speaker acknowledges their mistake in initially stating that local compactness is only weaker "in a certain sense."
winmath
hi.. how can we say a compact space automatically a locally compact? how subspace Q of rational numbers is not locally compact? am not able to understand these.. can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Locally compact is in a certain sense a weaker assertion than compactness. Here is a hint to show that Q is not locally compact. Take a point x and define some neighbourhood. Then show that this neighbourhood is not contained in a compact subspace. To do so consider an irrational point in the neighbourhood. Also as a further hint use limit point compactness. This is one way to prove it. Let me know if you are still stuck.

abiyo said:
Locally compact is in a certain sense a weaker assertion than compactness.
Why do you say "in a certain sense"? It's just weaker; locally compact means: every point has a compact neighbourhood. If the whole space is compact, for any point you just take the whole space as compact neighborhood.
winmath said:
how subspace Q of rational numbers is not locally compact?
Just try to find a compact neighborhood of q\in Q.

Landau; Thanks for the correction. Locally compactness is just weaker. I don't know what I was thinking.

Hello,

I can understand why you may be having trouble understanding locally compact spaces and subspaces. Let me try to explain it to you.

A compact space is a topological space in which every open cover has a finite subcover. This means that if we have a collection of open sets that covers the entire space, we can choose a finite number of them to still cover the space. In other words, compact spaces have a finite "size" in terms of open sets.

A locally compact space, on the other hand, is a topological space in which every point has a compact neighborhood. This means that for every point in the space, we can find a compact subset that contains that point and is also contained within an open set.

Now, to answer your first question, we can say that a compact space is automatically locally compact because every point in a compact space has a compact neighborhood. This is because, in a compact space, we can choose the entire space itself as a compact neighborhood for each point.

As for your second question, the subspace Q of rational numbers is not locally compact because not every point in Q has a compact neighborhood. For example, the point 0 does not have a compact neighborhood in Q because any open set containing 0 will also contain irrational numbers, which are not part of Q. Therefore, Q is not locally compact.

I hope this helps in understanding locally compact spaces and subspaces. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is a locally compact space?

A locally compact space is a topological space that is locally similar to a compact space. This means that every point in the space has a neighborhood that is compact.

2. How is a locally compact space different from a compact space?

A compact space is a topological space where every open cover has a finite subcover. This is not necessarily true for a locally compact space, as it only has locally compact neighborhoods.

3. What is the significance of locally compact spaces?

Locally compact spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a useful framework for studying various properties of topological spaces. They also have applications in other areas, such as in functional analysis and differential geometry.

4. How are subspaces defined in locally compact spaces?

A subspace of a locally compact space is a subset of the space that is also a locally compact space with respect to the subspace topology induced by the original space.

5. Can a non-locally compact space have a locally compact subspace?

Yes, it is possible for a non-locally compact space to have a locally compact subspace. An example of this is the real line with the Euclidean topology, which is not locally compact, but has locally compact subspaces such as closed intervals.