1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locally finite family problem

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a topological space, and A a locally finite family of sets in X (i.e. such a family of sets that every point in X has a neighborhood which intersects a finite number of sets in A). One needs to show that Cl(U A) = U (Cl(A)) (i.e. the closure of the union of sets in A equals the union of the closures of sets in A).

3. The attempt at a solution

Inclusion [tex]\subseteq[/tex]. Let x be in Cl(U A). Then every neighborhood of x intersects U A. Since A is locally finite, there exists some neighborhood N of x which intersects A in a finite number of sets.

This is where I'm stuck, right at the beginning. Somehow, I need to show that this very x is contained in some set of the family A, since then it's contained in U (Cl(A)), too. Any push in the right direction is highly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2
    Let V be a neighbourhood of x intersecting A1,A2,...An. Assume the contrary, that x doesn't belong to the closure of any Ai.Then, we can choose a neighbourhood Vi of x which doesn't intersect Ai for each i.
    The intersection W of V & Vi (1<=i<=n) is open & doesn't intersect any of A's & hence is not in U A. Therefore, x is not in Cl(U A), a contradiction.

4. Aug 19, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Eynstone, thanks a lot. So, for the other inclusion, it's similar: let x be in U (Cl(A)), then every neighborhood of x intersects at least one set from A, and if we assume the contrary, i.e. that x is not in Cl(U A), then there exists some neighborhood of x which doesn't intersect any set from the family A, which is clearly a contradiction. (Although I didn't use the finite intersection property here, but perhaps I don't need to, if this is okay.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook