Location of a Particle in a Box

In summary, the average position for the particle in a box can be calculated using the equation <x> = x_0 + L/2 - (L/2π)sin(2πx_0/L). This is obtained by integrating the wavefunction |\Psi|^2 and taking into account the position of the box, x_0. If x_0 is equal to 0, then the average position simplifies to x_0 + L/2, but for x_0 ≠ 0, the last term must also be taken into account. This is due to the shift in the wavefunction when x_0 is not equal to 0.
andresordonez
SOLVED
(Example 6.15 from Modern Physics 3e- Serway)

Homework Statement

Compute the average position <x> for the particle in a box assuming it is in the ground state

Homework Equations

[tex]
|\Psi|^2=(2/L)\sin^2{(\pi x/L)}
[/tex]
[tex]
<x> = \int^{x_0+L}_{x_0}x|\Psi|^2dx
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
<x>=x_0+L/2-\frac{L}{2\pi}\sin{\frac{2\pi x_0}{L}}
[/tex]

I'm pretty sure this is the answer, however, I don't understand why I get that last term, I mean, the average position should be [tex] x_0 + L/2 [/tex] right?

If I take [tex]x_0=0[/tex] then the answer is what I was hoping for (Indeed this is the original procedure in the book), but in the more general expression with [tex] x_0 \neq 0 [/tex] I get the previous answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the well with [itex]x_0[/itex] at the left side, then your wavefunction should also be shifted with respect to the solution for [itex]x_0=0[/itex].

You're missing [itex]x_0[/itex]in the expression for the wavefunction.

right! Thanks.

1. What is the concept of "Location of a Particle in a Box"?

The concept of "Location of a Particle in a Box" refers to the quantum mechanical model of a particle confined within a box with impenetrable walls. This model is used to study the behavior and properties of particles in a confined space.

2. How does the size of the box affect the location of the particle?

The size of the box has a direct impact on the allowed energy levels and corresponding locations of the particle. A larger box allows for more energy levels and a wider range of possible locations for the particle, while a smaller box limits the energy levels and restricts the possible locations.

3. What is the significance of the wave function in determining the location of the particle?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the particle's position and momentum in the box. It helps to determine the probability of finding the particle at a certain location within the box at a given time.

4. Can a particle in a box be in multiple locations at once?

According to quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed or measured. This means that a particle in a box can be in multiple locations at once until its location is measured.

5. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle apply to the location of a particle in a box?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This applies to the location of a particle in a box, as the more precisely we know its position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.