Where Should I Place My Telescope to Observe VY Canis Majoris?

In summary, a telescope would need to be located in a place with clear skies, high altitude, and minimal interference in order to observe the emissions of the dying VY Canis Majoris. This is because the material surrounding the star emits infrared radiation, which is easily distorted by the Earth's atmosphere. Therefore, the telescope would need to be in a location that allows for optimal observation of this type of radiation.
Johnboy

Homework Statement

What type of location for a telescope would be needed in order to oserve the emissions of the dying VY Canis Majoris? The material is rich in dust and molecules that would vaporise around hotter stars and emits infrared radiation.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stumped here. At first I thought it was regarding Einstein's general relativity and how the star would distort the space around it, but I can't figure out why the location of the telescope would matter, surely it would just be where the telescope looked?
Anyway, if anyone could help me I would be eternally greatful

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Johnboy! :smile:
Johnboy said:
What type of location for a telescope would be needed in order to oserve the emissions of the dying VY Canis Majoris? The material is rich in dust and molecules that would vaporise around hotter stars and emits infrared radiation.

Well, does it need clear skies? Does it need to be high up? Does it need to be in space? Does it need to be shielded from anything? Does it need to be guarded by a big dog? etc … :wink:

Haha I appreciate the humour, it has made doing this a bit more light-hearted!

I have thought about this, but I can't think of a good reason why the telescope would need to be, for example, in space.

Other than the fact that the atmosphere is known to distort light from stars, but that seems too simple!

What wavelengths does it need to receive? :wink:

Johnboy said:
Other than the fact that the atmosphere is known to distort light from stars

Ok, and what else can do the atmosphere with electromagnetic radiation?

Johnboy said:
The material is rich in dust and molecules that would vaporise around hotter stars and emits infrared radiation.

What can you say about infrared radiation?

Last edited:
Only the big dog was intended as humour, all the rest of the things in tiny-tim's list were really serious considerations that go into determining the locations of actual observatories.

1. What is the best location for telescopes?

The best location for telescopes depends on several factors, including the clarity of the sky, the altitude, and the absence of light pollution. Generally, high-altitude locations with clear, dark skies such as remote mountain tops or deserts are considered optimal for telescope observations.

2. How do scientists determine the location for a new telescope?

Scientists consider several factors when determining the location for a new telescope, including atmospheric stability, cloud coverage, light pollution, and accessibility. They also conduct detailed surveys and measurements to find the best spot that will provide the clearest and most consistent views of the night sky.

3. Why are telescopes often located in remote areas?

Telescopes are often located in remote areas to avoid light pollution and atmospheric disturbances that can affect the clarity of observations. Remote locations also offer clearer and darker skies, which are essential for studying faint objects in the universe.

4. Can telescopes be located in urban areas?

While telescopes are typically located in remote areas, there are some that are located in urban areas, such as observatories on top of buildings or in city parks. However, these telescopes are often smaller in size and have limited capabilities due to the effects of light pollution and atmospheric disturbances in urban environments.

5. Are there any telescopes in space?

Yes, there are several telescopes located in space, including the Hubble Space Telescope and the Spitzer Space Telescope. These telescopes are not affected by atmospheric disturbances or light pollution, allowing for clearer and more detailed observations of the universe.