Location of the Soul: Body/Head Separation Debate

• Thread starter Sagert
  • Start date
In summary: But on a more fundamental level, I don't think there is such a thing as a soul. The concept is based on ancient beliefs and is no longer supported by science. If you cut off your hand, you would just be a person without a hand. Your soul would not be in your hand but somewhere in the rest of your body/head.
Sagert
If you cut off your hand, you would just be a person without a hand. Your soul would not be in your hand but somewhere in the rest of your body/head.

Now let's posit that your head got chopped off, maybe because you committed a bad crime and received an old-fashioned execution. Would you be the body without a head, unable to think or function? Or would you be the head that realizes that there is no body attached to it? Of course this realization would only be for a limited amount of time before blood does not reach the brain any longer and you couldn't think, but still.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, it is believed that the soul is interned where the laws of physics are kept.

I heard some stories where a person head was chopped in a battle but he managed to go to his place with head in his hands..

And when I was little I lived with my grandparents. We had some chickens and we would cook them sometimes, I once managed to see how they kill chickens. I cannot recall much but IIRC body still has life for few seconds before it stops struggling.

Last edited:
The soul resides in the heart. I know, because I can taste it when I eat them. That's how I gain their strength

Sagert said:
If you cut off your hand, you would just be a person without a hand. Your soul would not be in your hand but somewhere in the rest of your body/head.

Now let's posit that your head got chopped off, maybe because you committed a bad crime and received an old-fashioned execution. Would you be the body without a head, unable to think or function? Or would you be the head that realizes that there is no body attached to it? Of course this realization would only be for a limited amount of time before blood does not reach the brain any longer and you couldn't think, but still.

How do you know a soul exists?

The soul is located between the legs. I know that because I associate the soul with happiness.

The soul is definitely positioned in the gut. I mean, that's where we really FEEL our emotions, no?

I keep my soul in a drawer. I rarely use it, only if I absolutely have to.

The soul is bound to the brain but is neither created by it or required by it.

The brain is like an iPhone. It functions without a wireless connection but loses it's reason for being.

Stratosphere said:
How do you know a soul exists?

I don't know.

Antiphon said:
The soul is bound to the brain but is neither created by it or required by it.

The brain is like an iPhone. It functions without a wireless connection but loses it's reason for being.

Plus you have to be veeeery careful about how you pick it up. If you hold a brain wrong, it won't work at all.

Soul is a strange loop.

LBloom said:
The soul is located between the legs. I know that because I associate the soul with happiness.

This.

The soul can be found on the bottom of the shou.

lisab said:
Plus you have to be veeeery careful about how you pick it up. If you hold a brain wrong, it won't work at all.
:rofl:
Ain't no such thing as a soul. It was just ancient people's attempt to explain their own consciences.

The soul was never intended to be a physical entity that resides in any particular part of the body. It has always been something vague, mystical and immaterial that equates with the spiritual aspect in humans... never-mind that science has identified things like spirituality to be a part of the functioning right brain).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/fashion/25brain.html

Mankind has needed something mysterious, like a soul, in order to create a mechanism for transitioning to an afterlife after death, because it's too obvious what happens to the physical body.

runner said:
No matter how many letters she has after her name, that woman is nuts. Going by the standards mentioned in that link, every left-handed person on the planet should be happier than a pig in ****.
I like your closing comment, Runner. For some reason, people just can't seem to understand that death is the end.

Danger said:
No matter how many letters she has after her name, that woman is nuts. Going by the standards mentioned in that link, every left-handed person on the planet should be happier than a pig in ****.
I like your closing comment, Runner. For some reason, people just can't seem to understand that death is the end.

My initial reaction is that she might have had some mental problems (depressions, etc) that were "cured" by the stroke - I know I've heard of a man who actually SHOT HIMSELF and ended up curing his depression.

It's not that they can't, it's a willful refusal to understand. Which I completely empathize which... I would be ecstatic to find myself in Hell after I die. Anything is better than nothing.

Honestly, I always thought an eternal existence of bliss or suffering sounded really boring. In that case, I'd prefer the reincarnation-style existence, where "you" continue to exist in various forms in the universe.

If by "soul" you mean consciousness, I'd say a good analogy would be asking, " where does the music go when you smash the CD player." Yes, the music is not the same as the CD player, but that doesn't imply anything supernatural.

Danger said:

For some reason, people just can't seem to understand heaven and hell.

I think this thread has gone far enough. We're starting to head toward guideline violations.

What is the "Location of the Soul" debate?

The "Location of the Soul" debate is a philosophical and scientific discussion about where the human soul is located within the body. Some believe the soul exists within the physical body, while others argue that it is separate and distinct from the body.

What is the evidence for the body/head separation theory?

The body/head separation theory is based on anecdotal evidence such as near-death experiences, out-of-body experiences, and reports of individuals being able to see and hear things from a perspective outside of their physical body. Some also argue that the soul must be separate from the body in order to explain consciousness and the mind-body connection.

What is the evidence against the body/head separation theory?

The main evidence against the body/head separation theory is the lack of scientific proof. There is no concrete evidence that the soul exists or that it is separate from the physical body. Additionally, studies on near-death experiences have shown that they can be explained by physiological and psychological factors, rather than proof of a separate soul.

Can the "Location of the Soul" debate ever be definitively answered?

It is unlikely that the "Location of the Soul" debate will ever be definitively answered. It is a highly subjective and complex topic that involves both scientific and philosophical perspectives. Additionally, the concept of the soul is deeply rooted in religious and cultural beliefs, making it difficult to reach a consensus on its existence and location.

How does the "Location of the Soul" debate impact scientific research and understanding of the human body?

The "Location of the Soul" debate has little impact on scientific research and understanding of the human body. While some may argue that it could have implications for fields such as neuroscience and psychology, the lack of concrete evidence for the existence of the soul means that it is not a major factor in scientific research and understanding of the body.