Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loch Ness' Nessie found?

1. Jul 17, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Loch Ness has bones

I posted this thinking that finding a fossilized plesiosaur was significant. It would seem that this is not significant.

"Meanwhile, on the shores of Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands, retired scrap dealer Gerald McSorley, who recently had a hip replaced, stumbled and fell into the water -- where his hand felt a strange object. When he brought it to a museum in Edinburgh to have it examined by experts, they told him it was the 150 million-year-old fossilized vertebrae of what was likely a plesiosaur."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2003 #2
    I think he bought it over the
    internet, threw it in, went out
    the next day with his wife, "ac-
    cidently" fell in...

Is Loch Ness really known for
    it's fossil's? Has anyone ever
    found any kind of fossil there?

4. Jul 28, 2003 #3
    Just watched a documentary on this and some guy did a very complete sonar sweep and found guess what ... they also fooled a few tourists into beliving they saw a nessie while they were at it.
  5. Jul 28, 2003 #4
    There has been hundreds of hoax's over the years, but why would a retired scrap dealer buy a fossil over the net and then drop it into the lake? Why? absolutely no reason for him to do it. and just because a 150 million year old fossil has been found in loch ness doesnt mean that there is still one in there.(plesiosaur that is).
  6. Jul 29, 2003 #5

I've read your post over a few
    times and still can't figure
    out if you're joking or not.

At the risk of looking stupid
    I have to say that a retired
    scrap dealer has the same motive
    to perpetrate a hoax as anyone
    else might. He may want the
    attention. He may enjoy stirring
    up controversy. It may make him
    feel more clever than everyone

7. Jul 29, 2003 #6
    I wasnt joking but what i mean is that a scrap dealer has nothing to gain, and him being scottish means that he doesnt want attention all he needs is a nice bottle of whiskey and he is happy. But the people that would gain from this are the locals that make lots of money from tourism, so maybe the locals put the fossil there and have been waiting for an outsider to find it.
  8. Jul 29, 2003 #7

I went back to the story to see
    if it said where McSorley came
    from (Edinburgh or near the Loch)
    and found something I hadn't
    noticed the first time which is
    that he planned to donate it
    to a museum...unless someone
    offered to buy it from him.

From scrap metal to scrap dino-
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?