Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lock in amplifier usage

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    i am using a lockin amplifier for the 1st time other than a canned college lab demo.
    i have a 5mV signal from a strain gage that is driven with 10Vpp at 1kHz or whatever i choose.
    the 5mV is increased to 5.01mV when i add some weight to the arm the
    gage is weighing.
    i wanted to increase sensitivity of this reading with the LIA since there is noise in the next digit, i.e.
    i read 5.01mV +- 0.01mV.

But i seem to go out of range (overload) before reading any weight change.
    do i need to get a 0V average signal first, and put this into
    the LIA?

the 4 strain gages are in a full wheatstone bridge configuration.
    The 10V 1kHz signal is sent to the bridge and to the LIA 'reference' input,
    5mV 1kHz bridge output sent to to LIA signal in. I adjust the LIA phase for max output,
    zero the signal with the internal LIA offset, and increase sensitivity until i overload.
    then i back off the sensitivity so theres no overload. at this point i see no change in output
    with change in weight. the LIA sensitivity is generally 30mV at this point, whereas
    the signal I want to measure is 0.01mV or less, so it seems natural i wont get a change in
    output. the only thing i can think of is i must 'balance the bridge' to get 0.00V output, and
    amplify this to higher levels e.g. at the 0.01mV level.
    is this right?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted