Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lock picking

1. Jan 31, 2004 #1
    Has anyone here done or know how? I'm looking for a brief tutorial on how to pick somewhat simple locks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2004 #2
  4. Jan 31, 2004 #3
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know?
    I learned how to pick locks also. It was one of the first things I ever looked up on the internet. I had seen a show on PBS about computers being invented and it mentioned that lock picking had a lot to do with it. I suspect there are basically three types of people who learn how to pick locks: thieves, locksmiths and the people like us(hopefully) the chronically curious.

I can't explain how as well as some of the guides you can find can show you, but here is some hints.

The most important part of the process isn't the picking part, it is the use of the tensioner(don't know if that's a real word) you have to put constant pressure on the lock while you are picking it, but too much or too little won't work. The actually amount varies, but it is probably less than you think.

Master locks are worthless, I can pick a Master lock in about 1/2sec.

an easy way to make tensioners is to walk down the street and pick up the metal brush bristles from street sweepers

WD40 is your friend

Don't pick locks of people bigger than you

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  5. Feb 1, 2004 #4
    Learned it some time back, but for a reason, worked in a place that had lots of lockers and people who would forget/lose/misplace their keys....and they needed to get into them, NOW!, sooo....Oooops looook'y here, "it's open" now...

EDIT if you figure out, from that site, how it works, well, you might just realize that "The better the lock the easier the pickin" as precision in lock-making is facilitating to (easier) picking...at least a little bit, if you are good at it.....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  6. Feb 1, 2004 #5
    just curious -- how do you do it? with a stethoscope?

(you're talking about this kind of lock, right?)

7. Feb 1, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One time I was locked out of a running Chevy cavalier rental car.. the local security guard didn't want to help even though he was able to (liability matters) so we had to call a lock-guy.. waited two hours in a parking structure.. finally he shows up, walks to the door and immediately walks away and charges $20.. he opened it in a split second

8. Feb 1, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

easy way to get into a car...if you have a tennis ball and a knife... cut the tennis ball in half. Place half ball over lock and smack it hard. Lock pops. Voila.

9. Feb 1, 2004 #8
    Did cars, for a service station that I worked for, back when I was in my late teens, "Slim Jims" work better then 'tennis balls', that, or a 'Slide Hammer' from the Body shop, twist it in, slide the ...well lock out, but it busts the lock and the door, coat hangers used to work so well if you knew how....

10. Feb 2, 2004 #9
    Huh? I don't get it at all. How does this work? What do you smack it with? Why do you need the half tennis ball? Does this wreck the lock?

11. Feb 2, 2004 #10
    Nose Picking

On a related topic: nose picking. Has anyone here done or know how? I'm looking for a brief tutorial on how to pick somewhat simple noses.

12. Feb 2, 2004 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

Re: Nose Picking

I have only one thing to say about that:

You can pick your friends,
    You can pick your hair,
    You can pick you nose!
    But YOU CAN'T PICK YOUR FRIEND'S HAIRY NOSE!!!!

Don't go there, Zoob. You might lose a friend or two it you try it.

13. Feb 2, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  14. Feb 2, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

You smack the tennis ball with your fist. The half tennis ball traps the air inside, so when you smack it, the huge increase in pressure should force the lock to pop. I dont know perfectly how it works because i have never done it, but it is a common way of getting into cars.

15. Feb 2, 2004 #14
    Anyone ever try one of those round key ones? those ones are 'different'...little more of a challenge, I suppose...

16. Feb 2, 2004 #15
    This is fascinating! Please give it a try for me next time you're at the pub and all the car owners are inside drunk. I'd like to know if you can actually do it.

17. Feb 2, 2004 #16
    Thanks, Tsunami! That little finger technique might just work. My guess is that it must have been pioneered by Dr. Evil.

I won't be picking any friends noses. My house guest, Mean Mr. Mustard, is rumored to keep a ten bob note up there.
    What I'm wondering is how a search for nose picking lead you to search "Chroot"?

18. Feb 2, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*doesn't say a word*

19. Feb 2, 2004 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, everyone should have a hobby.

- Warren

20. Feb 2, 2004 #19

Tsu

Gold Member

Hey, everyone should have a hobby.

ROTFLMAO!!!! (HELP ME! I'M IN PAIN, HERE...)

Don't ask ME, man! I'M not a google engine...
    I wasn't searching chroot! It came up on the google page when I googled 'nose-picking tutorial'!!!
    Maybe if you google what I googled, you'll see it, too!!

21. Feb 4, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

(i cant believe im asking this) can you write exactly what u googled and how many pages in. Man i have no life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?