Lock picking

  • #26
Just to be sure firefly, I don't think he meant it to be used on house locks, just cars...(I suspect)
 
  • #27
740
3
One of the many things I was interested in as a teenager was lockpicking. even had a semi auto pick gun for a while. it's all a matter of practice. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're good, you can do it with a screwdriver and a paperclip. (I was not good).

I used a coathanger more than once to get me into my car after I locked the keys out. Of course I had old cars with the horizontal lock bar. The newer ones make that impossible. Why did I do this you ask? childhood fantasy to be a PI- *shrug* go figure.

As far as the newer cars, lojack is a lojoke if you know where to look(I'm not telling) and that goes for just about any vehicle nowadays. The club? Lol 30 seconds with a nice horizontal saw can solve that problem. Anyone see "gone in 60 seconds?" hotwiring a car is a very simple task if you have the knowledge. They can invent velcro, but the best they can come up with is a metal bar affixed to a rubber steering wheel? *sigh* They need to implement thumprint locks- I'm sure the technology is affordable nowadays- at least for luxury autos.
 
Last edited:
  • #28
If you would truly worry about car theft, and need a system to prevent it, According to Car thieves themselves the best method is a Gasoline Cut off Valve...manual one...installed into the fuel line...thief takes the car, goes whatever number of blocks, car stalls *suddenly* in where ever they happen to be, becoming a "heat attractor", thief flees (screaming...don't we all wish!)
 
  • #29
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
My dad did something like that to our car(s), where he interrupted the wiring at some stragetic spots in the car, which need to be connected in order to start the car :)

The lesson to be learned is to buy a good car alarm.
 
  • #30
That is exactly the reason why "car thieves themselves" reccomend a gasoline cut off switch, (a manual one) electrical cutoffs are usually to easy to find, and defeat...
 
  • #31
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
maybe, maybe not

I find this lock-picking tutorial thread a little strange though..
 
  • #32
Originally posted by Monique
I find this lock-picking tutorial thread a little strange though..
Why? how else will we ever know each others true skills?
 
  • #33
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
I find Zooby's request for a NOSE-picking tutorial a little disturbing... I wonder what he plans to do with THAT...
 
  • #34
6,265
1,280
Originally posted by Tsunami
I find Zooby's request for a NOSE-picking tutorial a little disturbing... I wonder what he plans to do with THAT...
??? I explained that:
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I won't be picking any friends noses. My house guest, Mean Mr. Mustard, is rumored to keep a ten bob note up there.
 
  • #35
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
??? I explained that:
I dunno, Zoob. Sounds like a ruse to me... I'm mean, how many people have house guests that AREN'T friends...:wink:
 
  • #36
6,265
1,280
Originally posted by Tsunami
I dunno, Zoob. Sounds like a ruse to me... I'm mean, how many people have house guests that AREN'T friends...:wink:
You must be someone who doesn't have alot of relatives.
 
  • #37
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
You must be someone who doesn't have alot of relatives.
Well, I have LOTS of relatives... I just don't let them come visit!! My philosophy is, relatives who come to visit are like fish...after three days they start to SMELL bad!
 
  • #38
Originally posted by Tsunami
Well, I have LOTS of relatives... I just don't let them come visit!! My philosophy is, relatives who come to visit are like fish...after three days they start to SMELL bad!
Another good reason to learn Nose picking...hey! maybe that is why "The zoob" wanted to learn it, to get rid of unwanted house guests!
 
  • #39
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Another good reason to learn Nose picking...hey! maybe that is why "The zoob" wanted to learn it, to get rid of unwanted house guests!
Well, that'd work for ME!!...
 
  • #40
Originally posted by Tsunami
Well, that'd work for ME!!...
Not that I have any real and/or actualy experiance at it, but I hear (you know..."Rumor Has it") that the best method of enhancement is to 'flick it' at them, subtle hint, to assist, in the departure!
 
  • #41
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Not that I have any real and/or actualy experiance at it, but I hear (you know..."Rumor Has it") that the best method of enhancement is to 'flick it' at them, subtle hint, to assist, in the departure!
 
  • #42
Originally posted by Tsunami
Well, that'd work for ME!!...
Yes! but, your guest might just take it as an "indication of permission" and follow suit, with a resultant of wiping it on YOUR furniture, sooooo lead away....
 

Related Threads on Lock picking

  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
8K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
25
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
48
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
2
Replies
32
Views
4K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
3K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
88
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
36
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
Top