1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locomotive speed homework

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. A locomotive is accelerating at 1.6 m/sec2. It passes through a 20.0-m-wide crossing in a time of 2.4 s. after the locomotive leaves the corssing, how much time is required until its speed reaches 32 m/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Hi ferishta,

You need to show some work in order to get help. What have you tried so far? What equations do you know that might be useful? No one is going to do your homework for you.

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    the initial velocity of the locomotive:
    Vot + 1/2at^2 = s
    => Vo=6.41
    the velocity of the locomotive when it just leaves the crossing:
    V^2 - Vo^2 = 2as
    => V=10.25

32 - 10.25 = 1.6 x t
    => t = 13.6s

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4
    Hey Quang,
    Thanks for the help...I was really having a tough time becuase... I was not able to find the proper formulas to find, my physics professor expects us to know everything when it is an introductory course.
    Thanks again,
    Ferishta

6. Mar 8, 2009 #5

hage567

Homework Helper

Quang,

Please note that providing solutions to homework problems is against forum rules (the ones you agreed to when you registered here, by the way).

7. Mar 8, 2009 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As hage567 has mentioned, please review the PF Guidelines that you have agreed to. Pay attention to this section:

8. Mar 8, 2009 #7
    i'm sorry...:frown: i didnt pay attention

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook