Locus of Line Segment Mid Point Intercept Real/Imaginary Axis

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: Therefore, the locus of the midpoint is the curve given by:. . $x = -\dfrac{b}{4x_o},\; y = -\dfrac{b}{4y_o}$In summary, the locus of the midpoint of the line segment intercept between the real and imaginary axis by the line $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$ where $b$ is a real parameter and $a$ is a fixed complex number such that $\Re(a),\Im(a)\neq 0$ is the curve given by $x = -\dfrac{b}{4x_o},\; y = -\dfrac{b}{4y_o
juantheron
Find locus of mid point of line segment intercept between real and imaginary axis by the line

$a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$ where $b$ is areal parameter and $a$ is a fixed complex

number such that $\Re(a),\Im(a)\neq 0$

My Attempt:: Let $z=x+iy$ and $a=x_{0}+iy_{0}$, Then put into $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$

We get $(x_{0}+iy_{0})(x-iy)+(x_{0}-iy_{0})(x+iy)+b=0$

So $(2xx_{0}+2yy_{0}+b)+i(2xy_{0}+2x_{0}y) = 0+i\cdot 0$

So $2xx_{0}+2yy_{0}+b=0$ and $2xy_{0}+2x_{0}y=0$

Now How can i solve it after that, Help me, Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Locus of line sagment

jacks said:
We get $(x_{0}+iy_{0})(x-iy)+(x_{0}-iy_{0})(x+iy)+b=0$

You have an error in signs. The imaginary part should be 0 because $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z=a\bar{z}+\overline{a\bar{z}}=2\text{Re}(a\bar{z})$.

Re: Locus of line sagment

jacks said:
Find locus of mid point of line segment intercept between real and imaginary axis by the line

$a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$ where $b$ is areal parameter and $a$ is a fixed complex

number such that $\Re(a),\Im(a)\neq 0$

My Attempt:: Let $z=x+iy$ and $a=x_{0}+iy_{0}$, Then put into $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$

We get $(x_{0}+iy_{0})(x-iy)+(x_{0}-iy_{0})(x+iy)+b=0$i
$(x_0x0- ix_0y+ ixy_0+ y_0y)+ x_0x+ ix_0y- iy_0x+ y_0y)+ b= 0$
$(2x_0x+ 2y_0y)+ i(-x_0y+ xy_0+ x_0y- y_0x)= 2x_0x+ 2y_0y= 0$

So $2xx_{0}+2yy_{0}+b=0$ and $2xy_{0}+2x_{0}y=0$

Now How can i solve it after that, Help me, Thanks

jacks said:
Find locus of midpoint of line segment intercept between real and imaginary axis by the line $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0,$
where $b$ is a real parameter and $a$ is a fixed complex number such that $\Re(a),\Im(a)\neq 0$

Let $z=x+iy$ and $a=x_o+iy_o$.

Substitute into $a\bar{z}+\bar{a}z+b=0:$
. . $(x_o+iy_o)(x-iy)+(x_o-iy_o)(x+iy)+b\:=\:0$

Expand:
. . . $x_ox - ix_oy + ixy_o + y_oy + x_ox + ix_oy - ixy_o + y_oy + b \:=\:0$

We have: $2x_ox + 2y_oy + b \:=\:0 $

The intercepts are $\left(-\dfrac{b}{2x_o}, 0\right),\;\left(0, -\dfrac{b}{2y_o}\right)$

Their midpoint is: $\left(-\dfrac{b}{4x_o},\,-\dfrac{b}{4y_o}\right)$

What is the definition of "Locus of Line Segment Mid Point Intercept Real/Imaginary Axis"?

The locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis refers to the set of all points on a coordinate plane where the midpoint of a line segment intersects either the real or imaginary axis. This locus is represented by a straight line passing through the origin.

How is the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis related to complex numbers?

The locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis is directly related to complex numbers because it represents the points where the real and imaginary parts of a complex number are equal. This is visualized as a line passing through the origin on the complex plane.

What is the equation for the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis?

The equation for the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis is given by x = y or x = -y. This reflects the fact that the real and imaginary parts of a complex number are equal at these points.

How does the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis relate to the geometry of a complex number?

The locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis is a visual representation of the geometry of a complex number. It shows the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex number and how they intersect on the complex plane.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis?

Understanding the locus of line segment mid point intercept real/imaginary axis is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving complex numbers, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.