Locus of mid point of parabola and straight line

You will find that being able to write things like x^2 in place of x2 makes your work much easier to read. And, if you are not already doing so, try to use a pencil that is not too light (a 0.5 mechanical pencil works well for me.) That will make your work more readable when you scan it.Another thing that helps, is to use the preview button before posting. That will show you how your post will look before you post it.
tony24810

Homework Statement

A line passing through the point (1,0) cuts the curve Y^2=4x at two points A and B. Find the equation of the locus of the mid-point of AB.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the graph is parabola, the solution should also be a parabola with x-intercept at (1,0).

tried to set up 2 equations are mixed together but didn't work out

wondering if parametric equation should be used

i think i should try to find a general expression for x and y, then use mid point respectively, then mix the parametric equation

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Write a standard line equation given the information provided and solve it for the two points of intersection and keep going from there. Don't TALK about the math, start to DO the math (and show it here). We can't help you from just your words.

"Didn't work out" is NOT a helpful description of where you are having a problem.

tony24810 said:

Homework Statement

A line passing through the point (1,0) cuts the curve Y^2=4x at two points A and B. Find the equation of the locus of the mid-point of AB.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the graph is parabola, the solution should also be a parabola with x-intercept at (1,0).

tried to set up 2 equations are mixed together but didn't work out

wondering if parametric equation should be used

i think i should try to find a general expression for x and y, then use mid point respectively, then mix the parametric equation

please help

PF Rules require you to show your work, whether correct or not.

Anyway, you are mis-using the word "locus": a locus (of points) means a curve traced out as one curve moves relative to another. So, if your line moved and the parabola remained stationary, the mid-point would trance out a curve---that would be the locus. If you have just two fixed curves that do not move anywhere, you don't have a "locus". Did you mean "location"?

Ray Vickson said:
Anyway, you are mis-using the word "locus": a locus (of points) means a curve traced out as one curve moves relative to another. So, if your line moved and the parabola remained stationary, the mid-point would trance out a curve---that would be the locus. If you have just two fixed curves that do not move anywhere, you don't have a "locus". Did you mean "location"?

The straight line is not fixed. It goes through the point (1,0) but its slope m is not given. The intercepts with the parabola depend on m and so is the midpoint. It describes a curve, and the question is the equation of that curve, the equation of the locus of the midpoint.

please find my working out in attached pdf

Attachments

• locus q.pdf
    278.4 KB · Views: 311
tony24810 said:
Your document is messy and not well documented, so I will not even attempt to read it. Generally, PF encourages posters to type out their work whenever possible. And yes, that is a lot of trouble for the student, but it makes it much easier for helpers to give assistance. (Of course, the inclusion of drawings and diagrams is always a thorny issue, but some types of drawings can be pasted directly in a response.)

tony24810 said:
I do not understand your handwriting.
The equation of the parabola is given: y2=4x.
What is the general equation of a straight line which goes through the point (1,0)? What are the points of intersections with the parabola?

tony24810 said:
Your parametrization, t = 4x, is not particularly helpful.

One parametrization that seems natural to me is to use the slope of the line as the parameter.

The equation of a line with slope, m, passing through the point, (1, 0) is : y = m(x-1).

Solve that simultaneously with y2 = 4x .

That should get you a start.
Note: The sum of the two roots of ax2 + bx + c = 0 is -b/a .

Thanks Sammy! I think I did it!

is the answer Y^2 = 2x - 2 ?

haha the sum or root really helps!

last night i was thinking it again and again and i thought it has to pair up like t = x and -1/x, it probably is, but it doesn't get me the general point. actually, maybe it does, let me try this method in a moment. but then i cannot prove that they are a pair.

Attachments

• locus q 2.pdf
    293.4 KB · Views: 315
tony24810 said:
Thanks Sammy! I think I did it!

is the answer Y^2 = 2x - 2 ?

haha the sum or root really helps!
That's what I get, although my procedure was a bit different. ##\displaystyle\ \ \ y_{mid}^2=2(x_{mid}-1)\ ##

I did essentially what you did to get the x-coordinate of the midpoint.

##\displaystyle x_{mid}=1+\frac{2}{m^2} ##

However, I used the fact that the mid point of the pair of the points of intersection is on the line ##\displaystyle y = m(x-1)## . Square this, also solve the above for m2 and substitute to get ##\displaystyle y_{mid}##.

Alternatively, substituting ##\displaystyle x_{mid}=1+\frac{2}{m^2} ## directly into the equation of the line gives a parametric form for ##\displaystyle y_{mid}## .
last night i was thinking it again and again and i thought it has to pair up like t = x and -1/x, it probably is, but it doesn't get me the general point. actually, maybe it does, let me try this method in a moment. but then i cannot prove that they are a pair.

By the Way:

I do agree with Ray V. that you should type out (at least the main portions of) your work. I just happened to have the time & patience to go though your pdf renderings of your scanned work. The sketches of your graphs were helpful in showing that you understood the graphs of the given equations, and your second pdf was a bit more readable.

Try to learn some basic LaTeX, or at least learn how to use the superscript/subscript features available here at PF.

What is the locus of the mid point of a parabola and a straight line?

The locus of the mid point of a parabola and a straight line is the set of points that satisfy the condition of being equidistant from both the parabola and the straight line. In other words, it is the path traced by the mid point as the parabola and the straight line move in a specific way.

How do you find the equation of the locus of the mid point of a parabola and a straight line?

To find the equation of the locus, you need to first determine the coordinates of the mid point, which can be found by taking the average of the x-coordinates and the y-coordinates of the parabola and the straight line. Then, you can use the distance formula to set the distance between the mid point and the parabola equal to the distance between the mid point and the straight line. This will result in an equation that represents the locus.

What are the different types of loci that can be formed by a parabola and a straight line?

There are three main types of loci that can be formed by a parabola and a straight line: a circle, an ellipse, and a hyperbola. The type of locus that is formed depends on the relative positions and orientations of the parabola and the straight line.

Can the locus of the mid point of a parabola and a straight line be a straight line?

Yes, it is possible for the locus of the mid point to be a straight line. This can occur when the parabola and the straight line are parallel to each other, or if they intersect at a right angle. In these cases, the mid point of the parabola and the straight line will always lie on the same line, resulting in a straight line locus.

How is the concept of locus of mid point of a parabola and a straight line used in real life applications?

The concept of locus of mid point is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be applied in designing structures such as bridges or buildings, where the locus of the mid point determines the path of a moving object or load. It is also used in optics to determine the path of light rays reflected off a parabolic mirror and a straight reflective surface. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the study of conic sections and their applications in fields such as astronomy and navigation.