Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locus Question on multiple moving objects

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I had a some locus questions, these are not a homework question but I was just curious as to how anyone would go about them.

Q1. Lets say there is kid walking in a circle of diameter 2 m at a speed of 1 m/s at the back of a truck. The truck is headed due east at a speed of 15 m/s. What equation would describe the locus of the head of the kid, with respect to the (stationary) ground, if we consider eastward as the x-axis?

OR

Q2. I also had one more actually, I have a cylinder of diameter 4 m, rolling down an incline that has an angle of 30 degrees. Inside the cylinder, there is an object oscillating uniformly at a speed of 10 Hz. (i.e. 10 oscillations across the diameter per second).

If we consider the incline as the x-axis, and the object oscillating about that diameter which is perpendicular to the x-axis, what would describe the locus of the oscillating object?

How do we go about finding the equation for such "superimposed motions" would trace out on a x-y plane and get an equation in terms of parametric form or as y = f(x) ?

The scale of the x-y plane is say in SI units. That is 1 unit in each of the axes is 1 m.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted