Perpendicular Bisector of 2 Points

In summary, the locus of points equidistant from two given points on the same line is the perpendicular bisector of those two points. This is true in both 2D and 3D. In 2D, the locus is a vertical line, while in 3D, it is a plane. In the given situations, the locus can be represented by a vertical line (elevator), a sinusoidal function (ferris wheel), a parabola (points 2cm from a parabola), and a horizontal line (points 5cm above a line). The equation for the locus where the sum of distances from (0,-2) and (0,2) is 8 is given by \
yourmom98
is the locus of points equidistant from the two given points on the same line as the perpendicular bisector of the 2 points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF
*In 2D,
Yes. If we draw a line between any two given points, the locus of points equidistant from those two given points will lie on a unique perpendicular bisector that intersects exactly between the two points on the line (i.e., intersects at a point belonging to the line equidistant from the two given points). (In 2D all is coplanar)
*In space (3D that is),
Yes. If we draw a line between any two given points, the locus of points equidistant from those two given points will lie on a unique plane containing every perpendicular bisector of this line that intersects at a point belonging to the line equidistant from the two given points.

thanks i am asked to draw a diagram that represent the locus in each of the following situations also i am asked "what is the locus of each?"

a) Going down on a elevator
b)sitting in a seat on a ferris wheel as it rotates
c)all the points that are 2cm from a parabola
d)all the point that are 5 cm above a line

a) the diagram would be a vertical line
b) the diagram would be a sinusoidal function
c) a parabola
d) horizontal line

are these correct and what does it mean "what is the locus of each?" am i supposed to give an equation?

EDIT: also how would i find the equation of this
locus where point such that the sum of whoose distances from (0,-2) and (0,2) is 8 cause. well its not that i CANT find the equation its just that i have to draw and ellipse to figure it out i wonder if there is an more accuate way? so far my answer is 16=x^2+y^2 is this rite?

Last edited:
yourmom98 said:
a) the diagram would be a vertical line
b) the diagram would be a sinusoidal function
If the answer to (a) is a vertical line why isn't the answer to (b) a circle?
c) a parabola
Two parabolas (in 2D)? A cylinder (in 3D)?
d) horizontal line
I guess you meant a parallel line.
am i supposed to give an equation?
You can only give an equation if you have an equation to begin with. If the question didn't give you an equation, do you really want to be the one who starts it?
how would i find the equation of this locus where point such that the sum of whoose distances from (0,-2) and (0,2) is 8 cause. well its not that i CANT find the equation its just that i have to draw and ellipse to figure it out i wonder if there is an more accuate way? so far my answer is 16=x^2+y^2 is this rite?
Let a = (0,-2) and b = (0,2); and c = (x,y) is such a point that d(a,c) + d(b,c) = 8 where d is the (Euclidian) distance function. For any two points u = (u1,u2) and v = (v1,v2), d is defined as d(u,v) = [itex]\sqrt{(v_1-u_1)^2+(v_2-u_2)^2}[/itex]. So the locus that the question is asking is "the set of all (x,y) points in [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex] such that [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2+(y+2)^2}[/itex] + [itex]\sqrt{(x-0)^2+(y-2)^2} = 8.[/itex]"

P.S. Function d is symmetric: d(u,v) = d(v,u) for any two poins u and v. You can verify this if you apply the definition of d once to d(u,v) and once for d(v,u).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a perpendicular bisector?

A perpendicular bisector is a line, segment, or ray that divides a line segment into two equal parts at a right angle.

2. How do you find the equation of a perpendicular bisector?

To find the equation of a perpendicular bisector, you will need to determine the slope of the original line and then find the negative reciprocal of that slope. This new slope will be used to create the equation of the perpendicular bisector, along with the midpoint of the original line segment.

3. How do you use the perpendicular bisector theorem?

The perpendicular bisector theorem states that if a point is equidistant from the endpoints of a line segment, then that point lies on the perpendicular bisector of that line segment. This theorem can be used to find the equation of the perpendicular bisector or to determine if a point lies on the bisector.

4. Can a perpendicular bisector be a line segment?

Yes, a perpendicular bisector can be a line segment, as long as it divides the original line segment into two equal parts and forms a right angle at the midpoint.

5. How is the perpendicular bisector used in geometry?

The perpendicular bisector is used in geometry to construct right angles, bisect line segments, and create perpendicular lines. It is also used in proofs and constructions to show the relationship between angles and lines.