Solving Exponential Equations: 2 Problems with Multiple Solutions

• Thread starter EternityMech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation discusses two different problems, one involving an equation and the other involving an inequality. The equation can be simplified using the properties of exponents, and the inequality can be solved using algebraic manipulation. The original poster is seeking help with finding the sum of all solutions for the first problem and is asking for guidance on solving the quadratic inequality in the second problem.
EternityMech

Homework Statement

it wants the sum of all solutions

2 different problems 1. and 2.

1. 2^x + 2^(x+1) + 2^(x+2) = 2^6.

2. 8/(3^x +2)>=3^x

>= meaning equal or greater than 3^x

Homework Equations

should i come up with a summa equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

i switched 3^x=y and solved it but i only got 1 solution and apparently there are more. if anyone can help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EternityMech said:

Note that
[tex]2^{x+2} = 2^2 \cdot 2^x = 4 \cdot 2^x[/tex]
and
[tex]2^{x+1} = 2^1 \cdot 2^x = 2 \cdot 2^x[/tex].

So
[tex]2^x + 2^{x+1} + 2^{x+2} = 2^x + 2 \cdot 2^x + 4 \cdot 2^x = 7 \cdot 2^x[/tex].
Take it from there.

EternityMech said:

Homework Statement

it wants the sum of all solutions

2 different problems 1. and 2.

2. 8/(3^x +2)>=3^x

>= meaning equal or greater than 3^x

Homework Equations

should i come up with a summa equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

i switched 3^x=y and solved it but i only got 1 solution and apparently there are more. if anyone can help. thanks.
In #1, the equation is the same as 2x + 2*2x + 4*2x = 26. Can you solve that one?

In #2, 3x > 0 for all x, so 3x + 2 > 2 for all x.
Multiplying both sides of the inequality by 3x + 2 won't change the direction of the inequality. If you do this, you get an inequality that is quadratic in form. Can you show us what you did?

1. How do you solve an exponential equation with multiple solutions?

To solve an exponential equation with multiple solutions, you first need to rewrite the equation so that the bases are the same. Then, you can use the property of equality to set the exponents equal to each other and solve for the variable. Finally, check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to make sure they work.

2. Can an exponential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an exponential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because exponential functions are not one-to-one, meaning that different inputs can produce the same output. When solving an exponential equation, you may come across multiple solutions that satisfy the equation.

3. How do you know if an exponential equation has infinite solutions?

An exponential equation will have infinite solutions if the base of the exponential term is equal to 1. This is because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, so any value for the variable will satisfy the equation. Additionally, if the bases of both exponential terms are equal and the exponents are also equal, the equation will have infinite solutions.

4. What do you do if an exponential equation has no solutions?

If an exponential equation has no solutions, it means that there is no value for the variable that will make the equation true. This can happen if the bases of the exponential terms are different and cannot be simplified, or if the equation leads to a contradiction (e.g. 0 = 1). In this case, the solution set will be empty (∅).

5. Can you graph an exponential equation with multiple solutions?

Yes, you can graph an exponential equation with multiple solutions. The graph will show all the points where the exponential equation is true, which may be more than one point. In some cases, the graph may also show an asymptote, which is a line that the graph approaches but never touches. This asymptote represents the values that do not satisfy the equation.