Log Approximation

1. Hi,
    In his notes, our teacher makes this approximation:

[tex]
    \log(1 + 3e^{-2\frac{E_o}{\tau}}) \approx \log(3e^{-2\frac{E_o}{\tau}})
    [/tex]

For [itex]\tau << E_o[/itex]

Also, and I don't think this matters, the logs are assumed to be natural logs.

I was wondering what the justification for this was...

2. jcsd
  3. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For many purposes, [itex]x \approx x+1[/itex] when x is large.

4. But x isn't large in this case?

5. Office_Shredder

Office_Shredder 4,499
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There doesn't appear to be much. What's the context? Is [tex]3e^{-2\frac{E_o}{\tau}}[/tex] very large?

EDIT: In that case, ask your teacher

6. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought maybe you had forgotten [itex]\tau < 0[/itex]. If the argument to log isn't large, then that's not a good approximation.

7. Sorry I hadn't quite finished editing my post when people started replying. We're trying to calculate the partition function for rotational degrees of freedom for a single molecule. So we have an infinite sum which we keep only the first two terms in the [itex]\tau << E_o[/itex] limit (the terms in the log). We then want to calculate the average energy which is where the log comes from, and he then makes that approximation. I guess I'll just have to ask him.

8. StatusX

StatusX 2,567
    Homework Helper

Are you sure there's a log around that second expression? Because [itex]log(1+x)\approx x [/itex] for x very small.

9. Ah, yes. I just misread the notes!! Thanks anyways!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?