Log Base 1

• Thread starter JinM
  • Start date
I know that logarithms to the base 1 is undefined, due to the reason that:

[itex]\log_1{x} = \frac{\log_a{x}}{\log_a{1}}[/itex]

And this leads to divison by zero, which is undefined.

There was a question in one of my textbooks that asked describe the graph that results if [itex]y = \log_1{x}[/itex]. Is such a graph even possible?

If I switch this logarithm to exponential form I would get:

[itex]1^y = x[/itex]

Now, is it possible that the graph could be y = 1 and x = 1? Since [itex]1^y = x^1[/itex], [itex]y = 1[/itex] and [itex]x = 1[/itex].

Or is it the point of intersection of these two lines? If not, what is it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well, not "the" graph. You have two "functions" there and so two graphs. Yes, if y= log1(x) then x= 1y= 1 for all x. The reason I put "functions" in quotes above is that this is not actually a function: strictly speaking, log1(x) is not a function. But it is a relation and its graph is the vertical straight line x= 1.

y= 1x= 1 is a function: its graph is the horizontal straight line y= 1.

Well not even going into division by zero when considering a change of base, you should recognize that 1 raised to a power won't get you x, a variable.

1 raised to any power, whether fractional, negative, or worse, is just 1. So the graph will look like x = 1.

Wouldn't the expression y=log11 (or y=log1(x);x=1 for all x) be undifned too as logn1 is always zero; So y=log11 has both zero and one as an answer?