1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log Base 1

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    I know that logarithms to the base 1 is undefined, due to the reason that:

[itex]\log_1{x} = \frac{\log_a{x}}{\log_a{1}}[/itex]

And this leads to divison by zero, which is undefined.

There was a question in one of my textbooks that asked describe the graph that results if [itex]y = \log_1{x}[/itex]. Is such a graph even possible?

If I switch this logarithm to exponential form I would get:

[itex]1^y = x[/itex]

Now, is it possible that the graph could be y = 1 and x = 1? Since [itex]1^y = x^1[/itex], [itex]y = 1[/itex] and [itex]x = 1[/itex].

Or is it the point of intersection of these two lines? If not, what is it?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, not "the" graph. You have two "functions" there and so two graphs. Yes, if y= log1(x) then x= 1y= 1 for all x. The reason I put "functions" in quotes above is that this is not actually a function: strictly speaking, log1(x) is not a function. But it is a relation and its graph is the vertical straight line x= 1.

y= 1x= 1 is a function: its graph is the horizontal straight line y= 1.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    Well not even going into division by zero when considering a change of base, you should recognize that 1 raised to a power won't get you x, a variable.

1 raised to any power, whether fractional, negative, or worse, is just 1. So the graph will look like x = 1.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4
    Wouldn't the expression y=log11 (or y=log1(x);x=1 for all x) be undifned too as logn1 is always zero; So y=log11 has both zero and one as an answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?