Log base 2 key strokes.

• Thread starter starchild75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base Log
In summary, to solve for x in the equation 2^x=1500, you can use the formula log_b a = \frac{log_k a}{log_k b} to change the log base from 10 to 2. This can be done on a calculator by taking the log of 1500 and dividing it by the log of 2. The key strokes on a scientific calculator may vary, but this formula can be used to find the solution.
starchild75

Homework Statement

2^x=1500. solve for x. I need to know the key strokes on my scientific calculator. If I push log, it assumes log base 10. I need base 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know of a formula that can be used to "change bases" for logs?

I don't recall it. Can you give it to me? Is there no way to find the log base 2 on a calculator?

If i remember right it's
[tex]log_b a = \frac{log_k a}{log_k b}[/tex]
Where k is the base you're going to. In this case it would be base 10 so just log in your calculator.

What do you put in place of a and b?

I got that to work. I figured it out. Thanks a lot. It just seemed like there was a way to figure that out on a calculator but I can't remember for sure.

Starchild

What is log base 2 key strokes?

Log base 2 key strokes is a measure of the complexity or length of a sequence of key strokes in a computer program. It is calculated by taking the logarithm of the number of key strokes in base 2.

Why is log base 2 used for key strokes?

Log base 2 is commonly used for key strokes because it allows for a more accurate representation of the complexity of a sequence. It also aligns with the way computers process data in binary, making it a more intuitive measure.

How is log base 2 key strokes calculated?

To calculate log base 2 key strokes, you can use the formula log2(n), where n is the number of key strokes in the sequence. This will give you the number of bits that would be needed to store the sequence of key strokes in binary format.

What is a practical application of log base 2 key strokes?

Log base 2 key strokes can be used to compare the complexity of different sequences of key strokes in computer programs. It can also be used as a measure of efficiency, as shorter sequences would require less storage space and potentially be faster to execute.

Can log base 2 key strokes be used for any type of input?

Yes, log base 2 key strokes can be used for any type of input, as long as it can be represented in binary format. This includes text, numbers, and even images or other multimedia elements.