Log Differentiation: Find dy/dx of (cosx)^sinx

In summary, using log differentiation, we can find dy/dx in terms of x for the equation y = (cosx)^sinx by using the chain rule and applying logarithms to both sides. After simplifying and using logarithm properties, the final derivative is: (cosx)^sinx * (sinx * (-sinx/cosx) + cosx * ln(cosx)).
bengalibabu
Using log differentiation, find dy/dx, in terms of x for the following:
y = (cosx)^sinx

any help wud be appreciated, I am unsure of how to start this question, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Logarithmate and differentiate using the chain rule.

Daniel.

all i need help is in how to logarithmate it, if i understood that then i should be able to differentiate it easily

[tex]a = e^{\ln{a}}[/tex] where 'ln' is natural log.

Then use chain rule plus product rule. The other way is to differentiate implicitly after taking logs of both sides.

Apply logarithm on both sides, and use the property of logs [itex] \ln a^b = b \ln a [/itex]

ok. i think i got it

y = (cosx)^sinx
logy = log(cosx^sinx)
logy=sinx(logcosx)
(dy/dx)(1/(yln10)) = sinx(1/cosx(ln10) + log(cosx^cosx)
(dy/dx)=[(tanx/ln10) + (log(cosx^cosx))](yln10)

jus let me know if I am on the right track. thanks for your help guys.

I think so, but why this ln 10??

[tex] \ln y = \sin x \ln (\cos x) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{1}{y} = \sin x \frac{-\sin x}{\cos x} + \cos x \\ln (\cos x) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = (\cos x)^{\sin x}(\sin x \frac{-\sin x}{\cos x} + \cos x \ln (\cos x)) [/tex]

isnt the derivative of log(base)x = 1/xln(base) ?

Yes, you should have used natural logarithm to avoid that, but it's ok.

how could u have used natural logs to avoid that?

o nevermind stupid question lol. i should have converted log to ln then found the deriative.

hah - "logarithmate"? I would prefer "logarithmize"

1. What is log differentiation?

Log differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that contains logarithms. It is particularly useful when dealing with functions that involve exponentials or powers.

2. How do I find the derivative of (cosx)^sinx using log differentiation?

To find the derivative of (cosx)^sinx using log differentiation, you first take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. Then, use the logarithmic properties to simplify the equation and apply the chain rule to find the derivative.

3. Why is log differentiation useful?

Log differentiation is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of complicated functions that involve logarithms and exponentials. It is also helpful for solving problems involving growth and decay.

4. What is the chain rule and how is it used in log differentiation?

The chain rule is a rule used to find the derivative of composite functions. In log differentiation, it is used to find the derivative of the inner function after applying the logarithmic properties to simplify the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using log differentiation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using log differentiation. It is most effective for finding the derivative of functions that contain logarithms and exponentials. It may not work for other types of functions, such as trigonometric functions or polynomials.