Solve Log Equations with Log Laws: Examples on Logbase 4, 2, and 10

• Thread starter skg94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation was about solving logarithmic equations with different bases using log laws. The participants discussed various strategies and equations, including a quadratic equation, to solve these equations. They also mentioned the inverse relationship between logarithms and exponential functions.
skg94

Homework Statement

Solve for x

logbase 4 for question 1.

1. log (x+2) - log (x-4) =1/2

log base 2:

2. log (3x+1) = 2 - log (x-1)

log base 10:

3. log sq root (x^2 -21x) =1

similar just different numbers..

log (x-4) - log (x+2) =4 base 2
log (x-4)=4-log(x+2)
log (x^2-2x)^7=21

Homework Equations

Log laws

The Attempt at a Solution

1. log (x+2)/(x-4) = 1/2 - is that right or is it log (x+2) = 1/2 + log (x-4) then cancel the logs. I don't know. When i tried it both didnt work. Maybe i calculated it wrong if its set up right.
2. (3x+1)(x-1) = 2
3x^2-2x-1=2
3x^2-2x-3 - what do i do from here?

3. If you square both sides, or times the square and x by .5 and equal it to zero, i don't know what to do, same process of solving for the later 3 I am pretty sure I am having difficulty with these.

Any help please

Physics news on Phys.org
1. log (x+2)/(x-4) = 1/2 looks fine. Next step: get rid of the log.

2. (3x+1)(x-1) = 2 -- Here you did just that, i.e. got rid of the log, but only on the left side. You need to fix the right side before you work out (3x+1)(x-1)

3. log( √ something ) = something else ... get rid of the log first:
√ something = 10 ^ (something else) ... square each side:
something = (10 ^ (something else)) ^ 2 = 10 ^ (2 times something else)
This is a quadratic equation which you should be able to solve. (Hint: the number 29 should appear somewhere on the way. If you see that, you're probably getting on okay.)

Are you clear on what a logarithm is? It is the inverse to the exponential function- if y= loga(x), then x= ay. So if log4 A= 1/2, then 1/2= 4A. What A makes that true?

HallsofIvy said:
So if log4 A= 1/2, then 1/2= 4A. What A makes that true?
Try again.

If log4 A = 1/2, then A = 41/2...

Oops!:redface:

i got them all ha it was just simple as getting rid of the log, silly we all do have our days.. thank to all of you though

Mark44 said:
We all have our days ...
Halls seems to have her bad days more often than not!

oay said:
Halls seems to have her bad days more often than not!
I would disagree on two points:
1. I have rarely seen him make a mistake.
2. Halls is a "he".

Mark44 said:
I would disagree on two points:
1. I have rarely seen him make a mistake.
2. Halls is a "he".
Ok, I would disagree on just the one point. For some reason, I thought HoI was a she.

But I haven't got enough fingers on both hands to count how many errors he's made in the last month or two! (Ok, maybe that's a bit harsh, but for a "PF MENTOR", far more than enough.)

1. What are log equations?

Log equations are mathematical expressions that involve logarithms. Logarithms are used to solve for an unknown exponent in an exponential equation. They are denoted by the symbol "log" and are typically written as "log(base) (argument)."

2. How do you solve log equations using log laws?

Log laws are a set of rules that can be used to manipulate and simplify log equations. These laws include the product, quotient, power, and change of base rules. By applying these laws, you can rewrite a log equation in a simpler form and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic techniques.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a log equation with log laws?

Sure, let's solve the equation log(base 4) (16) = x. First, we can use the power rule to rewrite the equation as log(base 4) (4^2) = x. Then, we can use the quotient rule to simplify it further to log(base 4) (4) = x. Finally, using the definition of logarithms, we know that log(base 4) (4) = 1. Therefore, the solution to the equation is x = 1.

4. How do log equations with different bases, such as logbase 4, 2, and 10, differ?

The base of a logarithm determines the number that the logarithm is being raised to. Log equations with different bases have different rules and properties. For example, the log(base a) (x) can be rewritten as log(x)/log(a) using the change of base rule. In contrast, the log(base e) (x), also known as the natural logarithm, has special properties and is commonly used in calculus and other advanced math topics.

5. What are some real-life applications of log equations?

Log equations are used in a variety of fields, including science, finance, and engineering. They can be used to model exponential growth or decay, calculate pH levels in chemistry, and determine the intensity of earthquakes. In finance, log equations are used to calculate compound interest and in engineering, they are used to measure signal strength and calculate antenna power.