Log Explanations for Homework Statement - Inflation & Property Value

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, inflation refers to the general increase in prices of goods and services over time and it affects property value by causing an increase in the value of properties. Inflation differs from place to place due to various factors such as economic conditions and government policies. It impacts the real estate market by leading to higher mortgage interest rates, construction costs, and affecting demand for housing. During times of high inflation, property values tend to increase but homeowners can protect their property value by regularly maintaining and improving their property and investing in assets less impacted by inflation.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

During a 10 year period of constant inflation, the value of a $200,000 property will increase according to the equation v = 200,000e^(.06t).
a.) What will be the value of the property in 4 years?
b.) Use a table/graph to estimate when this property will double in value.

Homework Equations

logb b = 1, logb 1 = 0, logb b^x = x, b^(log x) = x (b != 1, and b > 0)
Product, Quotient, Power properties.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) This one is simple enough, plug and chug etc.
v = 200,000e^(.06(4))
v = 254249.83 (to 2 decimals)

b.) This one seems easy enough as well.
(2)200,000 = 200,000e^(.06t)
2 = e^(.06t)
ln 2 = ln e^(.06t)
ln 2 = .06 t (because ln e^x = x)
(ln 2)/(.06) = t
t = 12 (to the nearest year)

I have no problem working through these problems, but other than applying the identities that are provided, I have virtually no idea what the log's are doing. Is there some place I can find a better explanation of what is going on. Our book is horrible, and our professor more so. (I do get what eulers no. is, and that ln is just log base e, etc)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The nine or eleven properties of Real Numbers which you learn in Elementary Algebra are not fully sufficient to deal with exponential formulas or functions. When we have an the single variable in the exponent, we can take advantage of inverse functions. The natural logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function.

You might be better able to understand through self-study from another Intermediate or College Algebra textbook.

I understand what it is.

I am more looking for a proof that (for instance) log(MN) = logM + LogN
From my understanding, log(base b)X = Y is saying "b to the Xth power is Y. I am having some difficulty with problems like this (which I will attempt to work out)

[tex]log_{6}x + log_{6}10 = 1[/tex]

//use the product property to get a single log

[tex]log_{6}(10x) = 1[/tex]

//I don't understand exactly what here that makes log(base 6)10x = 1 = 10x = 6?

[tex]10x = 6[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{3}{5}[/tex]

QuarkCharmer said:
I am having some difficulty with problems like this (which I will attempt to work out)

[tex]log_{6}x + log_{6}10 = 1[/tex]

//use the product property to get a single log

[tex]log_{6}(10x) = 1[/tex]

//I don't understand exactly what here that makes log(base 6)10x = 1 = 10x = 6?
You're missing this step:
[tex]6^{log_{6}(10x)} = 6^1[/tex]

[tex]10x = 6[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{3}{5}[/tex]

QuarkCharmer said:
I understand what it is.

I am more looking for a proof that (for instance) log(MN) = logM + LogN
From my understanding, log(base b)X = Y is saying "b to the Xth power is Y.
I'll give it a go for the product rule you mention. (Since this proof is not a homework question, I figure it's okay to show the proof here.)
[tex]\log_b (MN) = \log_b M + \log_b N[/tex]

Let [tex]x = \log_b M[/tex] and [tex]y = \log_b N[/tex].

Converting these to exponential form,
[tex]b^x = M[/tex] and [tex]b^x = N[/tex].

So,
[tex]\begin{aligned}
MN &= b^x \cdot b^y \\
MN &= b^{x + y} \\
\log_b (MN) &= x + y \\
\log_b (MN) &= \log_b M + \log_b N
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Thanks, I actually found the explanation of all 3 properties shortly after I posted the thread. I am still concerned with
log(base 6)10x = 1 = 10x = 6?

[tex]log_{6}10x = 1[/tex]
being equal to
[tex]10x = 6[/tex]

I don't understand how this step works exactly?

QuarkCharmer said:
Thanks, I actually found the explanation of all 3 properties shortly after I posted the thread. I am still concerned with

being equal to
[tex]10x = 6[/tex]

If you raise 6 to the power of both sides of the equation, you get:

6log6(10x) = 61

10x = 6

Ignore log's, use ln's instead. Much easier to understand and (most important) work with. it.

by definition of log(fron now on when I write log I mean log(base6)), logx=y is equal to saying 6^y=x.
to your problem then, you have log(10x)=1, which by definition of log means 6^1=10x or x=3/5.
better now?

QuarkCharmer said:
Don't write things like the above. Among other things, this is saying that 1 = 6, which is clearly not true.
QuarkCharmer said:
being equal to
[tex]10x = 6[/tex]

Another way to think about this is that the logarithm of a number is the exponent on the base that produces that number. To restate this in the context of your problem, the logarithm of 10x (shown as 1) is the exponent on 6 that produces 10x.

IOW, 10x = 61, from which it follows that x = 3/5.

What is inflation and how does it affect property value?

Inflation is the general increase in the prices of goods and services over time. It affects property value because as prices increase, the value of properties also increases. This means that a property that was purchased for a certain amount in the past will be worth more in the present due to inflation.

Why does inflation differ from place to place?

Inflation differs from place to place due to various factors such as economic conditions, supply and demand, and government policies. For example, a city with a booming economy and high demand for housing may experience higher inflation rates compared to a smaller town with a slower economy.

How does inflation impact the real estate market?

Inflation can impact the real estate market in several ways. It can lead to higher mortgage interest rates, making it more expensive for buyers to finance a property. It can also result in higher construction costs, which can drive up the price of newly built homes. Inflation can also affect the demand for housing, as people may be less likely to purchase a property if they anticipate higher prices in the future.

How do property values change during times of high inflation?

During times of high inflation, property values tend to increase. This is because the value of the property is tied to the current market value, which is affected by inflation. As prices for goods and services increase, the value of the property also increases. However, if inflation is too high, it can lead to a decrease in property values as it becomes difficult for buyers to afford properties at inflated prices.

How can homeowners protect their property value during times of high inflation?

Homeowners can protect their property value during times of high inflation by regularly maintaining and improving their property. This can help to increase the value of the property and offset the effects of inflation. Additionally, investing in assets that are less impacted by inflation, such as real estate investment trusts (REITs) or gold, can help to diversify and protect one's overall portfolio during times of high inflation.