Solve Log Values Problem: Find A and B for \frac{Log A}{Log B} = \frac{2}{3}

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the professor mistakenly cancels the "log" in the equation (log A)/(log B) = 2/3, but still ends up with the correct values for A and B. These values are A = 9/4 and B = 27/8. The equations used to solve for these values are A/B = 2/3 and (log A)/(log B) = 2/3.
yoleven

Homework Statement

A professor is doing a problem on the black board and ends up with the expression

[tex]\frac{Log A}{Log B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

He absentmindedly cancels the “log”, making the left-hand side A/B. (A very wrong thing to do!)
Luckily, he ends up with the correct values for A and B. What are these values?

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure what to do here. I figured 2/3 is .667

from the question I have Log A- Log B= .667
I set A to be equal to 10 which gives me a value of 1, then Log B would equal .333 because 1-.667 =.333

raising both sides to be powers of ten, I get B= 10.333
which is 2.15

This works except if the proffessor "cancelled the Log) Then 10/2.15 obviously isn't 2/3.
What should I do here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just set A to be equal to 10. You have two equations

[tex] \frac{logA}{logB}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex] is one of them. Also, [tex] \frac{A}{B}=\frac{2}{3}[/tex] is another. You have to use both of them to solve for A and B

You have an error in your work: (log A)/(log B) != log A - log B. What is true is the log(A/B) = log A - log B.

There are two equations to work with:
A/B = 2/3, and
(log A)/(log B) = 2/3

Solve for one variable in the first equation, and substitute for it in the second equation.

Okay. Here is what I have..

[tex]\frac{log A}{log B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

3 log A = 2 log B

log A3 =log B2

log A3- log B2 = 0

log [tex]\frac{A^3}{B^2}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\frac{A^3}{B^2}[/tex] = 1

A3 = B2

from the question, we know that [tex]\frac{A}{B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

B = [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] A

([tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]A)2 =A3

[tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex] A2 =A3

A= [tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex]

B= [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{27}{8}[/tex]

Thanks for your input.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations involving exponential functions, and represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

2. How do I solve for A and B in the equation \frac{Log A}{Log B} = \frac{2}{3}?

To solve for A and B in this equation, you first need to isolate the logarithms on each side of the equation. This can be done by multiplying both sides by Log B. This will result in Log A = \frac{2}{3} * Log B. Next, convert the logarithms to exponential form, which will give you A = B^{\frac{2}{3}}. From here, you can solve for A and B by plugging in values for one variable and solving for the other.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithm and common logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln, has a base of e (approximately 2.71828), while the common logarithm, denoted as log, has a base of 10. This means that the natural logarithm is used for exponential functions with a base of e, while the common logarithm is used for exponential functions with a base of 10.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithm problems?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a logarithm function that can be used to solve logarithm problems. However, it is important to know how to solve logarithm problems by hand in case a calculator is not available.

5. Are there any rules or properties that can be used to simplify logarithm equations?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that can be used to simplify logarithm equations. These include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. It is important to familiarize yourself with these rules in order to solve logarithm problems efficiently.