Solve Log Question: Find Cube Root of 25 in Base 5

• Thread starter gabby989062
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
Therefore log base 5 cube root 25 equals 2/3.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of log base 5 cube root 25. The solution is determined to be 2/3 by writing 25 to the 1/3 as 25^(1/3) and using exponent rules to simplify it to 5^(2/3). This is the only difficult question in the section.
gabby989062

Homework Statement

log base 5 cube root 25 equals what?

Homework Equations

I know that the answer is 2/3 because it is in the back of the book

The Attempt at a Solution

log base 5 = 25 to the 1/3

so 5 to the what = 25 to the 1/3

How do I get 5 to the 2/3 equals 25 to the 1/3? This is the only tough question in this section. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
gabby989062 said:

Homework Statement

log base 5 cube root 25 equals what?

Homework Equations

I know that the answer is 2/3 because it is in the back of the book

The Attempt at a Solution

log base 5 = 25 to the 1/3

so 5 to the what = 25 to the 1/3

How do I get 5 to the 2/3 equals 25 to the 1/3? This is the only tough question in this section. :cry:

write 25 to the 1/3 as 25^(1/3).
but 25=5^2 so 25^(1/3)=(5^2)^(1/3). By your rules about exponents that is equal to 5^(2/3).

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of logarithms and their relationship to exponents. In this case, we are looking for the base 5 logarithm of the cube root of 25. This can be rewritten as log base 5 (25^(1/3)).

Next, I would use the property of logarithms that states log base b (x^y) = y*log base b (x). Applying this to our problem, we get log base 5 (25^(1/3)) = (1/3)*log base 5 (25).

Now, we know that 25 can be written as 5^2. Substituting this into our equation, we get (1/3)*log base 5 (5^2).

Using another property of logarithms, log base b (b^x) = x, we can simplify this to (1/3)*2 = 2/3. Therefore, the answer to the given problem is 2/3.

It is important to understand the concept behind logarithms and their properties in order to solve problems like this. Simply memorizing the answer may not always be helpful in understanding the underlying concept. I would recommend practicing more problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. It is denoted by logb(x), where b is the base and x is the given number.

2. What is the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a certain power to equal the given number. In this case, the base is 5.

3. How do you solve for a cube root in base 5?

To solve for a cube root in base 5, you can use the formula log5(x) = y, where x is the given number and y is the power that the base must be raised to in order to equal x. In this case, x is 25 and y is the cube root of 25 in base 5, which is written as log5(25) = y.

4. Is it possible to find the cube root of 25 in base 5?

Yes, it is possible to find the cube root of 25 in base 5. Using the formula mentioned in the previous question, we can find that the cube root of 25 in base 5 is 2, since log5(25) = 2.

5. Can you explain how to convert a logarithm to exponential form?

To convert a logarithm to exponential form, you can use the formula by = x, where b is the base, y is the power, and x is the given number. In the case of log5(25) = 2, the exponential form would be 52 = 25.