Help with Homework #3: Stumped!

• Thread starter zzinfinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the problem involves simplifying a logarithmic expression, and the key is to change all the bases to be the same. By using the change of base formula and simplifying the expression, the final answer is ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2))*b*ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2b-1)). The last term can be simplified further if the relationship between a and b is known. The next to last term is log_{2^b-2}(2^b-1), but it is left up to the reader to infer what '...' means. By picking values for a and b and running it through a program like MATLAB, the solution can be found.
zzinfinity

Homework Statement

Number 3 in the attached file

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Been staring at it for about an hour now and still don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Attachments

• HW7.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zzinfinity said:

Homework Statement

Number 3 in the attached file

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Been staring at it for about an hour now and still don't have a clue. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

-1- There is no attached file

-2- You *must* show some effort before you can get tutorial help here. That's in the Rules link at the top of the page.

1. Sorry, I forgot to attach the file. Here it is .

2. Be nice berkeman. I showed a lot of effort. I tried my change of base formula modeling it in MATLAB and all sorts of other things. Just nothing yielded results worth noting here. I just need a hint.

zzinfinity said:

2. Be nice berkeman. I showed a lot of effort. I tried my change of base formula modeling it in MATLAB and all sorts of other things. Just nothing yielded results worth noting here. I just need a hint.

I am being nice :smile:

It would help if you showed some of that work here in the forum, so folks can see how you are approaching those questions...

zzinfinity said:

If you want a hint, do what you say you are doing. Change all of the logs to the same base, say e. Show what you get. It will work.

Thanks Dick, that was helpful! I was trying to change the bases to all be in terms of a but I like you idea of using natural log. I changed base of the first three using the equation,
logd(x)= ln(x)/ln(d). I then multiplied the first three terms and, after canceling every thing was left with ln(2a+3)/ln(2a).

Then for the last term ( the one with "b" in it) I changed the base to e and got ln(2b)/ln(2b-1). I pulled my exponents to the front on both my fractions and multiplied

ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2)) * (bln(2)/ln(2b-1)). I canceled my ln(2) terms and was left with

b*ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2b-1)

Can you tell if it simplifies further than this? I feel like it might but am not sure where. Thanks again for your help!

zzinfinity said:
Thanks Dick, that was helpful! I was trying to change the bases to all be in terms of a but I like you idea of using natural log. I changed base of the first three using the equation,
logd(x)= ln(x)/ln(d). I then multiplied the first three terms and, after canceling every thing was left with ln(2a+3)/ln(2a).

Then for the last term ( the one with "b" in it) I changed the base to e and got ln(2b)/ln(2b-1). I pulled my exponents to the front on both my fractions and multiplied

ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2)) * (bln(2)/ln(2b-1)). I canceled my ln(2) terms and was left with
What's
b*ln(2a+3)/(a*ln(2b-1)

Can you tell if it simplifies further than this? I feel like it might but am not sure where. Thanks again for your help!

Ok, so you've got the first three factors and the last factor and you've figured out there is a lot of cancellation. Now you just have figure out what they mean by '...'. What's the term BEFORE the last one if you write it out explicitly?

I don't have any idea what is meant by '...'. That's why I just multiplied it through. But I guess its not that simple, huh? :)

Basically I know the next to the last term is log2a+?(2a+?+1). So that means to me that 2b=2a+?

Am I thinking about that correctly? Even if I am, I'm still not really sure where to go from there. Is there a relationship between b and a I'm not seeing? I'm not sure how to write it out explicitly. I feel like I'm getting close though!

zzinfinity said:
I don't have any idea what is meant by '...'. That's why I just multiplied it through. But I guess its not that simple, huh? :)

Basically I know the next to the last term is log2a+?(2a+?+1). So that means to me that 2b=2a+?

Am I thinking about that correctly? Even if I am, I'm still not really sure where to go from there. Is there a relationship between b and a I'm not seeing? I'm not sure how to write it out explicitly. I feel like I'm getting close though!

They left it up you to infer what '...' means. I would say the next to last term must be [itex]log_{2^b-2}(2^b-1)[/itex] Maybe the cancellation runs all the way? Pick an a<b like a=1 and b=3 and run it through matlab.

I get what you're saying. A friend of mine showed me this problem and I had no idea what was going on. Its been bothering me for a few days, but it has all come together. Thanks again for your help!

1. How can I find resources to help me with my homework?

There are many online resources available to help with homework, such as educational websites, video tutorials, and online forums. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for additional help.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular concept in my homework?

If you are struggling with a specific concept in your homework, try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one at a time. You can also try researching the concept online or asking a classmate or teacher for clarification.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with my homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your homework. In fact, seeking help can often lead to a better understanding of the material and improved academic performance.

4. How can I manage my time effectively to complete my homework?

To effectively manage your time for homework, try creating a schedule and setting specific goals for each study session. It can also be helpful to eliminate distractions and find a quiet, comfortable study space.

5. What should I do if I cannot find the answer to a homework question?

If you cannot find the answer to a homework question, don't panic. Take a break and come back to the question later, or try reaching out to your teacher or classmates for assistance. Remember to always try your best and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.