Why is the asymptote shifted and points don't match?

In summary, the conversation discussed a graphing calculator and a personal graph, as well as a question about the shift of an asymptote and the accuracy of points on the graph. The solution involved considering the order of operations and factoring the equation to accurately reflect the graph.
Matt1234
Here is what the graph looks like on a graphing calculator (notice the equation at the top):

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8898/graphingcalc.jpg

Here is what my graph looks like:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7475/lastscanc.jpg

I don't understand why the asymptote is shifted 6 units left instead of 3 units left, And the point on my graph don't seem quite right.

i have the points (-1, -3)
Yet the graphing calculator has (-1, -3.79)

Note : where i wrote original points I am referring to y = log x

I don't see what i hsve done wrong, can someone help me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step should have taken care of the compressions/expansions, so you should have looked at y = 2ln(1/2*x) first. The 1/2*x inside the parentheses causes an expansion away from the vertical axis. After that, take care of reflections, and finally translations.

thanks will try that

Last edited:
Notice that y = -2log(.5x + 3) + 3 = -2log(.5(x + 6)) - 3. This means that
1. The domain of this function is {x | x > -6}
2. The graph of y = -2log(.5x) has been translated to the left by 6 units, and down by 3 units.

You hit the nail on the head my friend, I forgot to factor Stupid me!

ill try again and post back my result

Got it thank you very much, forgot to factor.

Here it is:
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2599/lastscanjy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a log transformation?

A log transformation is a mathematical function that is used to transform data that is skewed or highly variable into a more normal distribution. It involves taking the logarithm of each data point.

2. When is a log transformation necessary?

A log transformation is necessary when the data is not normally distributed and violates the assumptions of statistical tests such as linear regression. It can also be used to reduce the influence of extreme values in the data.

3. How do you perform a log transformation?

To perform a log transformation, you need to take the logarithm of each data point. This can be done using a calculator or software such as Excel. Alternatively, you can use the natural logarithm function in statistical software such as R.

4. What are the benefits of using a log transformation?

The main benefits of using a log transformation are that it can help to normalize skewed data, reduce the influence of extreme values, and improve the interpretability of statistical models. It can also help to meet the assumptions of statistical tests.

5. Are there any limitations to using a log transformation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a log transformation. It may not be suitable for all types of data, and it can be difficult to interpret the results of statistical analyses on transformed data. It also does not always guarantee a normal distribution, and other transformations may need to be considered.