Understanding the Horizontal Shift in Logarithmic Functions

In summary, the horizontal shift in the graph is caused by the addition of 9 to the x-value. This causes the y-value to change, and the graph looks more like a horizontal shift than a vertical shift.
zekea
If we have log 3 (x+9) + 2 = y. It states that we have a HT 9 units left and 2 units up. But if we manipulate that too

log 3 (x+9) = y - 2

And convert to Exp form. This gives me

3^(y-2) = x + 9 or 3^(y-2) - 9 = x

This looks to me more like a HT 2 units right and a vt 9 units down. I don't understand why x+9 is a HT when changing to exp form it looks like your K value (Vertical Translation)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zekea said:
If we have log 3 (x+9) + 2 = y. It states that we have a HT 9 units left and 2 units up. But if we manipulate that too

log 3 (x+9) = y - 2

And convert to Exp form. This gives me

3^(y-2) = x + 9 or 3^(y-2) - 9 = x

This looks to me more like a HT 2 units right and a vt 9 units down. I don't understand why x+9 is a HT when changing to exp form it looks like your K value (Vertical Translation)

Hi zekea!

Lets take a look at this graph.

[desmos]y=log_3 (x+9) + 2 [/desmos]

All of the math you did with transforming the starting equation is correct, but maybe I can help you see why we have a horizontal shift.

Let's start with just $y=\log(x)$. You can plot that in the interactive graph in this post if you like. An easy point on this graph to get is $\log(1)$. This is 0 for any base, meaning $\log_2(1)=\log_3(1)=\log_{\pi}(1)=0$. So on this graph we have the point (1,0). Now what about $\log(x+9)$? When $x+9=1$ or $x=-8$ we get the $\log(x+(-8))=\log(1)=0$. How does this compare to our starting point of $\log(x)$? We get the same y-value when we shift the x-value 9 units to the left.

If you play around with values on the graph you'll see this kind of behavior. Does that help at all? :)

1. What is a Log Translation Question?

A Log Translation Question is a type of question that involves analyzing and interpreting data from a log or record. It typically requires the use of mathematical or statistical methods to translate the data into meaningful insights or conclusions.

2. Why are Log Translation Questions important?

Log Translation Questions are important because they allow us to extract valuable information and patterns from large sets of data. This can help us make informed decisions and predictions, as well as identify trends and anomalies that may not be visible at first glance.

3. What skills are needed to effectively answer Log Translation Questions?

To effectively answer Log Translation Questions, one needs to have a strong understanding of mathematics, statistics, and data analysis techniques. Other skills that may be helpful include critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to use data analysis software and tools.

4. Can Log Translation Questions be applied to any type of data?

Yes, Log Translation Questions can be applied to any type of data, as long as it is in a log or record format. This can include numerical data, categorical data, or even text data that has been logged over time.

5. How can I improve my skills in answering Log Translation Questions?

To improve your skills in answering Log Translation Questions, you can practice by working with different types of data and using various data analysis techniques. You can also take courses or workshops on data analysis and statistics, and stay updated on new developments and tools in the field.