What is the Solution to the Logarithmic Discrepancy Equation?

• Thread starter physicsdreams
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of logarithms and the validity of their solutions in a specific equation. It is mentioned that the definition of logarithms in the problem is only for positive values of x, and the need to exclude impossible solutions before solving the equation. The use of WolframAlpha and the concept of superfluous solutions is also discussed. The conversation ends with the mention of the possibility of defining logarithms for all numbers, including negative ones, but it depends on the context of the problem.
physicsdreams

Homework Statement

log(x)-log(x+4)=2

Homework Equations

knowledge of logs

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was on a test, and I found the answer to be approximately -400/99.
I was marked off, because apparently the answer is no solution?
I checked wolframalpha, and they say the answer is -400/99

Am I right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have defined the logarithm only for positive values of x. So log(-1) is not defined. The logarithm is a function that takes in positive values and spews out a real number.

It is possible to define the logarithm for negative numbers, but that's not what your teacher wants. Your teacher works with the real logarithm, and thus is not defined for negative numbers.

Sorry, you are not right. The logarithm of a negative number is not defined for real numbers. The original equation log(x)-log(x+4)=2 is equivalent with log(x/(x+4))=2 only for x>0. You have to exclude the impossible solutions before you start to solve an equation.

ehild

ehild said:
You have to exclude the impossible solutions before you start to solve an equation.

ehild

Why must I exclude the "impossible equations" if they work? Can you please define impossible (graphically? algebraically)

Thanks

physicsdreams said:
Why does it give me a correct solution?
WolframAlpha is giving a solution in terms of the definition it uses for the function log10(z). This is not the same as the definition you were given in your class / your text. The domain for the logarithm function as defined for your class is the positive real numbers. Plug your solution, x = -400/99, back into the original equation and you'll get log(-400/99)+log(-4/99)=2. Does that make any sense in terms of what you have been taught?

Sometimes when you solve a problem you will get superfluous answers. You need to learn to recognize that some answers are superfluous. A completely different example: Suppose you have calculated that the distance d between a pair of points is given by d2-d=2. This has two solutions, d=2 and d=-1. That second result (d=-1) is superfluous because distance can never negative. The only solution is d=2.Edit
I'll walk through the steps I assume you made to obtained an answer of -400/99.
Note: I am assuming that log(x) means the base 10 logarithm. (You wouldn't get -400/99 if log(x) indicates the natural log.)

Problem statement:
log(x)-log(x+4)=2

Step 1: Use the fact that log(a)-log(b)=log(a/b)
log(x/(x+4))=2

Step 2: Use the fact that log(a)=b is equivalent to a=10b
x/(x+4)=100

Step 3: Multiply both sides by x+4
x=100(x+4)

Step 4: Solve for x
x=-400/99

Each step introduces the possibility of a superfluous solution. For example, the equivalent of step 3 is used in invalid but creative ways to prove that 1=2. In this case, it is that first step that is problematic. log(a)-log(b)=log(a/b) is valid only if log(a) and log(b) are defined. You should always check your work.

Last edited:
Thanks D H.

But suppose that my teacher did defined the logarithm for all numbers both positive and negative. Is my answer then valid?

The (complex) logarithm function can be defined for complex numbers, among them for negative real ones. You need to know which logarithm is meant in the problem. But the variable of the complex logarithm is usually written as "z" instead of x. If you have not learned about complex numbers yet, your teacher could not define logarithm for negative numbers.

ehild

What is the discrepancy between log(x) and log(x+4) in the equation log(x)-log(x+4)=2?

The discrepancy in this equation refers to the difference between the two logarithmic terms. In other words, it is the amount by which the logarithm of x is less than the logarithm of x+4.

Why does the discrepancy occur in this equation?

The discrepancy occurs because the logarithmic function is not linear. This means that the difference between two logarithmic terms is not equal to the logarithm of the difference between the two values. In this case, the discrepancy is caused by the subtraction of logarithmic terms.

How can I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation as log(x/(x+4))=2. Then, you can raise both sides to the power of 10 to eliminate the logarithm, and solve for x using basic algebraic techniques.

What are the possible values of x that satisfy this equation?

There are two possible values of x that satisfy this equation: x=5 and x=8. These values can be found by solving the equation as described above.

What is the significance of this discrepancy in scientific research?

The discrepancy between logarithmic terms can have important implications in scientific research, especially when dealing with large numbers or data sets. It is important to understand the properties of logarithms and how they can affect calculations and data analysis in order to avoid errors and inaccuracies in research.