Solve 2^(5x)=3^x(5^(x+3)) Logarithm Exercise

In summary, the conversation involves solving the equation 2^{5x}=3^x(5^{x+3}). The solution involves using the property log (ab) = log (a) + log (b) and isolating x. The conversation also includes a question about using LaTeX and the response that it is acceptable.
0range

Homework Statement

[tex]2^{5x}=3^x(5^{x+3})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]ln2^{5x}=ln3^x(ln5^{x+3})[/tex]

[tex]5xln2=xln3(x+3)ln5[/tex]

Here's where I get stuck... I've tried a bunch of different manipulation, but can't seem to isolate x...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Remember that log (ab) = log (a) + log (b) Check the RHS of your equation

Thanks for the direction! I think I've got it...

5v23wg.jpg

It's late and I still suck at LaTeX, is it okay to do this, or is it against etiquette?

Thanks again for your help!

Welcome to PF, Orange! :smile:

0range said:
Thanks for the direction! I think I've got it...

It's late and I still suck at LaTeX, is it okay to do this, or is it against etiquette?

Thanks again for your help!

It is okay to do that, and you did get it.

Cheers!

Thanks!

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the power or exponent to which a given number (called the base) must be raised to produce a certain result. In other words, it is the inverse operation of an exponent.

What is the basic rule for solving logarithms?

The basic rule for solving logarithms is to use the exponent rule, which states that if logb(x) = y, then x = by. In other words, we can rewrite a logarithm as an exponential expression and solve for the variable.

How do I solve a logarithmic equation with multiple logarithms?

To solve an equation with multiple logarithms, we can use the product rule, quotient rule, or power rule. The product rule states that logb(xy) = logb(x) + logb(y), the quotient rule states that logb(x/y) = logb(x) - logb(y), and the power rule states that logb(x^y) = ylogb(x). We can use these rules to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithms include forgetting to apply the exponent rule, forgetting to simplify the equation before solving, and incorrectly applying the logarithm rules. It is important to carefully follow the rules and check your work to avoid these mistakes.

How do I check my solution to a logarithmic equation?

To check your solution to a logarithmic equation, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. If the resulting equation is true, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator to verify your solution.