Create Logarithm Flowchart: Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter pepablok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the student is trying to create a flowchart that will help them calculate logarithm. They are having difficulty because they do not know how to work with logarithm. They have tried to create a flowchart on their own, but it is not effective. They are able to approximate the answer by trying different values for y and by bisecting the trial values.
pepablok
We began learn flowcharts at school. First homework is make logarithm flowchart. I don't know how work logarithm cause we didn't learn in math yet. I tried make flowchart myself but I'm sure it's wrong cause don't know how logarithm works. Can someone help me?
Thanks
9188114_test.png

Physics news on Phys.org
pepablok said:
We began learn flowcharts at school. First homework is make logarithm flowchart. I don't know how work logarithm cause we didn't learn in math yet. I tried make flowchart myself but I'm sure it's wrong cause don't know how logarithm works. Can someone help me?
Thanks
9188114_test.png
That's a very nice flowchart, but as you point out, it's pretty well meaningless.

Please give us the exact wording of the problem you're working on. What you have provided isn't enough for me to understand what it is that you're trying to do.

Ok, I'm sorry for poor information, hope this will explain my problem better. Our teacher show us very similar flowchart for dividing two integers. Here is his flowchart:
9200872_0001.png

And then he said do flowchart for calculation of logarithm. I'm sure I need include somehow in flowchart this formula y=logax, ay=x. But I don't know how

Last edited:
That's still pretty vague, but I'll give it a shot.

Suppose you want to calculate y = log1030. That's equivalent to solving the equation 30 = 10y.

Start with an initial guess of y0 = 1.
Check it: 101 = 10 - too small. We want the answer to be 30.

Try a larger number. Let y1 = 2.
Check it: 102 = 100 - too big.

Note: Although I haven't found the number I'm looking for, my first two estimates tell me that log 30 is somewhere between 1 and 2.

As long as I have the true value bracketed between two numbers, one of which gives an answer that's too small and the other an answer that's too large, I'm in good shape. I can refine my estimate by choosing the number halfway between the two trial numbers.

Try y2 = 1.5.
Check: 101.5 = 31.6227766 (approx.) - too big, but getting closer.

Of my three trial values, 1, 1.5, and 2, 101 = 10, 101.5 = 31.6227766, and 102 = 100. For the next value I try, I want to find the number in whichever half-interval brackets the answer. Since 30 is between 10 and 31.31.6227766, but ISN"T between 31.6227766 and 100, I'll pick the midpoint of the interval [1, 1.5], namely 1.25.

Try y3 = 1.25
Check: 101.25 = 17.7827941 (approx.) - too small.

I continue with this process (which is called bisection) until two successive trial values give results that are "close enough." You can define how close you want to get - for example, if the two trial values produce results that are within .005 of each other (i.e., agree to two decimal places).

for reaching out for help on creating a logarithm flowchart! Logarithms are a useful mathematical tool and it's great that you are interested in learning more about them. Here are some steps you can follow to create your logarithm flowchart:

1. Start by defining what a logarithm is. A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function, and it tells us the power to which a base number must be raised to get a given number. For example, log base 2 of 8 is equal to 3, because 2 to the power of 3 is equal to 8.

2. Next, define the variables involved in a logarithm: the base, the number being raised to the power, and the result.

3. Begin your flowchart by drawing a rectangle and labeling it "Start."

4. From the start box, draw a line to a parallelogram and label it "Define logarithm."

5. From the define logarithm box, draw three lines to three parallelograms and label them "Base," "Number," and "Result."

6. From the base and number boxes, draw lines to a rectangle labeled "Calculate exponent." This is where you will use the logarithm formula to calculate the exponent.

7. From the calculate exponent box, draw a line to a rectangle labeled "Calculate result." Here, you will use the calculated exponent to find the final result.

8. From the calculate result box, draw a line to a parallelogram labeled "Display result."

9. Finally, draw a line from the display result box back to the start box to create a loop, indicating that the flowchart will continue until the user is satisfied with the result.

10. Test your flowchart by plugging in different values for the base and number, and checking if the result matches the expected value.

I hope this helps guide you in creating your logarithm flowchart. Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't be afraid to try different variations and seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck!

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of the exponential function. It is used to solve equations involving exponential expressions.

2. Why is it important to create a logarithm flowchart?

Creating a logarithm flowchart helps to visually organize the steps needed to solve a logarithmic equation. This can make problem-solving more efficient and less prone to errors.

3. How do you create a logarithm flowchart?

To create a logarithm flowchart, you first need to identify the steps needed to solve the logarithmic equation. Then, you can use symbols and arrows to represent each step and the flow of the solution. The flowchart should be clear and easy to follow.

4. What are the common symbols used in a logarithm flowchart?

The common symbols used in a logarithm flowchart include rectangles for processes or steps, diamonds for decisions, and arrows to show the flow of the solution. You can also use different colors or shapes to represent different types of steps.

5. How can a beginner benefit from using a logarithm flowchart?

A logarithm flowchart can be a helpful tool for beginners as it provides a structured and organized approach to solving logarithmic equations. It can also help beginners to identify and correct any mistakes in their problem-solving process.