Logarithm Formula Help: Solving for Log3 48 with Given Log4 N and Log12 N

And we need to prove that:\log_{3}\,48=r\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad3^{r}=48\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad3^{r}=4\times12\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad3^{r}=4\times3^{2}\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad3^{r}=3^{1+2}\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad3^{r}=3^{3}So, we need to prove that r = 3.The left hand side of the given equation is:\log_{3}\,48\quad=\quad\log_{3}\,\left(
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

If log4 N=p and log12 N=q, show that

log3 48=
MSP310219e962cfa4gc2d1700001a0d133gdh9c3fh8.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by substituting p and q into
MSP310219e962cfa4gc2d1700001a0d133gdh9c3fh8.gif
but i couldn't get the required answer. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Use the formula [tex]\log_ab=\frac{\log_cb}{\log_ca}[/tex]

Michael_Light said:

Homework Statement

If log4 N=p and log12 N=q, show that

log3 48= View attachment 32226

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by substituting p and q into View attachment 32226 but i couldn't get the required answer. Can anyone help?

Well, can you post your work, so that we can help you continue it? You are on the right track. Some of the logarithmic identities you should remember is (a, x, y are all positive real number):

• loga(xy) = logax + logay
  • [tex]\log_{a} \left( \frac{x}{y} \right) = \log_{a}(x) - \log_{a}(y)[/tex]
  • [tex]\log_{a} x = \frac{1}{\log_{x} a}[/tex]
  • [tex]\log_{a} b \times \log_{b} c = \log_{a} c[/tex] or [tex]\log_{a} b =\frac{\log_{c} b}{\log_{c} a}[/tex]

There's another way.

Note that, we have: log4 N = p, and log12 N = q.

And we want to calculate: log348. If you look at that closely, you'll discover that: 48 = 4.12

So log348 = log3(4.12)

By playing with some of the identities I gave you above, you'll soon arrive at the desired answer. :)

Thanks! I finally managed to solve the question by proving that (p+q)/(p-q) is equal to L.H.S.

Just to ask is it possible for me to obtain (p+q)/(p-q) from what i have done below? How should i continue?

log348
= log3 (4.12)
= log34 + log312
= (log3 N)/p + (log3N)/q
= (q log3N + p log3N)/pq
=[(p+q)log3N]/pq

Is it possible to continue?

Michael_Light said:
Thanks! I finally managed to solve the question by proving that (p+q)/(p-q) is equal to L.H.S.

Just to ask is it possible for me to obtain (p+q)/(p-q) from what i have done below? How should i continue?

log348
= log3 (4.12)
= log34 + log312
= (log3 N)/p + (log3N)/q
= (q log3N + p log3N)/pq
=[(p+q)log3N]/pq

Is it possible to continue?

So, you are stuck in expressing log3N in terms of p = log4N, and q = log12N, right? First, you should notice that 3 = 12/4. So, we have:

[tex]\log_{3} N = \frac{1}{\log_{N} 3} = \frac{1}{\log_{N} \left( \frac{12}{4} \right)} = ...[/tex]

Can you finish it from here? :)

VietDao29 said:
So, you are stuck in expressing log3N in terms of p = log4N, and q = log12N, right? First, you should notice that 3 = 12/4. So, we have:

[tex]\log_{3} N = \frac{1}{\log_{N} 3} = \frac{1}{\log_{N} \left( \frac{12}{4} \right)} = ...[/tex]

Can you finish it from here? :)

Thousands of thanks VietDao29! I solved it. Thanks again. ^^

[tex]\log_{4}\,N=p\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad4^{p}=N\quad\text{ and }\quad\log_{12}\,N=q\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad12^{q}=N[/tex]

1. What is the basic formula for logarithms?

The basic formula for logarithms is logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the argument, and y is the power to which the base must be raised to get the argument.

2. How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must first isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation. Then, exponentiate both sides with the same base to eliminate the logarithm. Finally, solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between logarithmic and exponential functions?

Logarithmic functions are the inverse of exponential functions. In other words, logarithmic functions "undo" the effects of exponential functions, and vice versa. In a logarithmic function, the input is the exponent and the output is the base. In an exponential function, the input is the base and the output is the exponent.

4. How do you convert between logarithmic and exponential form?

To convert from logarithmic to exponential form, simply rewrite the equation as an exponential equation by raising the base to both sides of the equation. To convert from exponential to logarithmic form, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation using the appropriate base.

5. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the power property, product property, quotient property, and change of base property. These properties allow you to simplify and manipulate logarithmic equations to solve for variables or simplify expressions.