1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithm Inequality

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    Log x ((x+3)/(x-1) > Log x x ??

I've managed to find 4 conditions for this inequality:
    1. -1 > x > 3
    2. x > -3
    3. x > 0
    4. x ≠ 1

but I'm not sure how to write the solution. Is it " 0 < x & 1 < 0 < 3 " ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you mistyped what this is supposed to be.

If you have multiple conditions, just write them out the way you would state them in English. For example, if I asked for the solutions to |x|>1 I would write "x>1 or x<-1". If someone asked for the solutions to |x2-4| > 1, I would write " x>sqrt(5) or -sqrt(3)<x<sqrt(3) or x<-sqrt(5)".

Notice you will never have an and condition. If you wrote something like " 1<x<5 and 2<x<7" you should just replace that with "2<x<5". If you have two conditions that are incompatible, just say there are no solutions rather than writing something like "1<x<3 and 5<x<6"

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3

Hi. Thank you for the reply.

Could you help me to find x that would satisfy the inequality?

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want help solving a homework or homework-style question, you should post in the homework forum and follow the template there. Most importantly make sure to show what work you have attempted already in your post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook