1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithm notation question

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    is ln(x)3 the same as saying [ln(x)]3? Also, if there is a difference, which one applies to the exponent being moved into the front of the logarithm as in 3ln(x)?

2. Relevant equations
    natural logarithms

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just got tripped up on the notation. Normally I see logarithms written as ln(x)3, but when I saw this, I wasn't quite sure if it was the same or not. I wasn't too sure if it was like sin2(x) and [sin(x)]2.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, [itex]ln(x)^3[/itex] means [itex](ln(x))^3[/itex] as opposed to [itex]ln(x^3)[/itex]. (The second form, with parentheses, is preferable as it is clearer.) It is the latter to which we can apply the "law of logarithms": [itex]ln(x^3)= 3ln(x)[/itex].

Look at a numerical example: ln(2)= 0.6931, approximately, so [itex](ln(2))^3= 0.3330[/itex] while [itex]ln(2^3)= ln(8)= 2.0794= 3ln(2)[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    Ah, thank you for the great explanation.

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Be aware that you'll also see abbreviated notations without the brackets. Like,

[tex]\log x^2 = \log(x^2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\log^2 x = ( \log(x) )^2[/tex]

This type of notation is frequently used with trig functions too.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    ah thank you for further clarifying!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook