Is ln(-x) Defined for Negative Real Numbers?

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, ln(-x) is defined for x \in R such that x < 0, and can be extended to the negative reals using Euler's formula. However, there may be technical difficulties in making this extension rigorous due to the multivalued nature of the complex logarithm.
Kamataat
Is it true that that [itex]ln(-x)[/itex] is defined for [itex]x \in R[/itex] such that [itex]x < 0[/itex]?

- Kamataat

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yes... If x < 0 then -x > 0, and surely the natural logarithm is defined for all positive numbers.

I believe it can be extended to the negative reals as well, by using Euler's formula. For example, e^(ln(3) + ipi) = e^ln(3) * e^(ipi) = -3, so one might say that ln(-3) = ln(3) + ipi. I assume there are some technical difficulties in actually making such an extension rigorous, since (for example) ln(3) + 3ipi is also a possible "candidate" for being the natural logarithm of -3.

Complex logarithm is multivalued indeed.But that's another story.

Daniel.

I thought it was so (I mean, it's pretty obvious), but I had this weird doubt (sometimes that happens when I study maths), so had to ask. Thanks again, Muzza.

- Kamataat

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that tells us how many times a certain number, called the base, has to be multiplied by itself to get another given number.

2. Why do we use logarithms?

Logarithms are useful in simplifying complex calculations involving large numbers. They also allow us to convert multiplication and division operations into simpler addition and subtraction operations.

3. How do I solve a logarithm equation?

To solve a logarithm equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

4. What are the common bases of logarithms?

The most common bases of logarithms are 10, e (the base of the natural logarithm), and 2. However, logarithms can have any positive base, as long as it is consistent throughout the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of logarithms?

Logarithms have many practical applications in fields such as finance, physics, and biology. They can be used to calculate interest rates, measure sound levels, and model population growth, among other things.