Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithm scale graph

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1
    Hello every one.

Today's question is: if i'm writte a graph using logarithm scale, must i use the dimensions of the graph "logarithmized" too ?

i.e : A Distance x Force graph must have its dimensions as log (m) x log (N) ? or it is just valid for the module ?

Thanks for the tips

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2016 #2
    If the units you are using already have the logarithm build it (ex, dB), then your graph will have evenly spaced divisions representing those units. For example, you may have a division after every 0.5 dB and every unit dB labelled along the edge.

Otherwise, you would normally use a logarithmic graph where the lines spacing varies and repeats a pattern after every power of ten (assuming it's a base 10 log). So you might have lines at 10M, 20M, 50M, 100M, 200M, etc, and the spacing between the lines would be proportional to the log of the ratio of the values represented by those lines.

If you don't have logarithmic graph paper, you can get an approximate with sets of three regularly spaced line at 10, 20, 50, 100.

If that's not your question, try again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted