How to Evaluate the Derivative of a Logarithmic Function with a Base of 10?

In summary, logarithmic differentiation is a method used to differentiate functions that involve logarithmic terms, particularly useful for functions that involve products, quotients, and powers of logarithmic functions. It is helpful when you have a function that is difficult to differentiate using traditional methods and can simplify the process of finding derivatives for complicated functions. However, it may not always be the most efficient method and can be more difficult to apply with multiple variables or trigonometric functions. To perform logarithmic differentiation, one must take the natural logarithm of both sides of the function, use properties of logarithms and differentiation rules to simplify the expression, and then take the derivative of both sides to solve for the desired derivative.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

if g(t)=(10^t)(log...t) then evaluate g'(10)
......10 <---------(my attempt at a log base 10)

Homework Equations

im completely lost...i don't know if i should take the ln of both sides...or what to do really.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]g(t)=10^t\log t[/tex]

Naw don't take log of both sides, just differentiate from the get go :)

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}a^x=a^x\log a[/tex]

Don't forget the Product rule.

Last edited:

What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to differentiate functions that involve logarithmic terms. It is particularly useful for functions that involve products, quotients, and powers of logarithmic functions.

When should I use logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is helpful when you have a function that is difficult to differentiate using traditional methods, such as the product rule or quotient rule. It is also useful for finding derivatives of functions that involve nested logarithms.

How do I perform logarithmic differentiation?

To perform logarithmic differentiation, you first take the natural logarithm of both sides of the function. Then, you use properties of logarithms and differentiation rules to simplify the expression. Finally, you take the derivative of both sides and solve for the desired derivative.

What is the advantage of using logarithmic differentiation?

The advantage of using logarithmic differentiation is that it can simplify the process of finding derivatives, especially for complicated functions. It can also help to reveal patterns and relationships in the function that may not be apparent using traditional differentiation methods.

Are there any limitations to using logarithmic differentiation?

While logarithmic differentiation can be a useful tool, it is not always the most efficient method for finding derivatives. It can also be more difficult to apply when dealing with functions that involve multiple variables or trigonometric functions.