1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic differentiation

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    find derivative of

y=(sqrt(8x^4-5))/ (x-1)

ok...after working out the tricky calculations i get for my final answer:

(32x^4sqrt(8x^4-5)-64x^3sqrt(8x^4-5)) / (16x^6-32x^5+ 16x^4-10x^2+20x-10)

I dont know if you want to do the math...im just wondering if i can simplify it anymore. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure you didn't do this problem the way you were supposed to. Judging by the title of the thread, you are supposed to do logarithmic differentiation, and I don't see any evidence that you have done this. Instead, it looks like you used the chain rule first and then the quotient rule.

[tex]y~=~\sqrt{\frac{8x^4 - 5}{x - 1}}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow ln(y)~=~ln \left(\sqrt{\frac{8x^4 - 5}{x - 1}}\right )[/tex]
    Use the properties of logarithms to write the right side as a difference, and then differentiate with respect to x.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    well what i did was (going from your previous equation):

ln(y)= ln(sqrt(8x^4-5)) - ln(x-1)...then i just took the derivative and it pretty much eliminated all the ln

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4
    well what i did was (going from your previous equation):

ln(y)= ln(sqrt(8x^4-5)) - ln(x-1)...then i just took the derivative and it pretty much eliminated all the ln

6. Nov 27, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

On the left side of the equation you should get 1/y * y'. Did you forget to use the chain rule?

7. Nov 27, 2009 #6
    oh no...i added that... i just forgot to put it up in my above equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook