Logarithmic elasticities

In summary, the elasticity of y with respect to x for the function ln(y) = 10 + 0.9x - 0.6x^2 is 0.9 - 1.2x.
elfy

Homework Statement

Find an expression (in terms of x and y) for the elasticity of y wrt x:
ln(y) = 10 + 0.9x - 0.6x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried the normal way of doing elasticities:

ElxY = (x/y)*y'(x) which I got to:

[x / 10 + 0.9x - 0.6x^2] * (0.9 - 1.2x) --> 0.9x - 1.2x^2 / (10 + 0.9x -0.6x^2)

Furthermore, the log stated on the left-hand side is somewhat worrying me so I also tried the logarithmic rule in relation to elasticities:
ElxY = dlnY/dlnX but I got a really weird answer when I started to differentiate wrt x.

Could someone just point me in the right direction so that I could have an attempt at the problem? I would very much appreciate any help I can get!

EDIT: If that one is too complex to explain I also have a simpler version which is similar:
lny=ax + bx
ElxY = (x/ax + bx) * a + bx ---> ax / ax = 1.
However, the same problem happens here with regards to the lny, which I assume makes my answer incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's review the definition of elasticity. Elasticity is a measure of the responsiveness of one variable (y) to changes in another variable (x). In other words, it tells us how much y changes in response to a change in x.

In this case, we are looking for the elasticity of y with respect to x, which is denoted as ElxY. This can be calculated using the following formula:

ElxY = (x/y) * dy/dx

where dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x.

Now, let's apply this formula to the given function:

To find dy/dx, we need to take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to x. Remember, the derivative of ln(y) is 1/y, and the derivative of a constant (10 in this case) is 0. So, we get:

1/y * dy/dx = 0.9 - 1.2x

Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for dy/dx:

dy/dx = (0.9 - 1.2x) * y

Substituting this expression for dy/dx into our original formula for ElxY, we get:

ElxY = (x/y) * (0.9 - 1.2x) * y

Simplifying, we get:

ElxY = 0.9 - 1.2x

So, the elasticity of y with respect to x for the given function is 0.9 - 1.2x. This means that for every 1 unit increase in x, y will decrease by 1.2 units, and for every 1 unit decrease in x, y will increase by 0.9 units.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a logarithmic elasticity?

A logarithmic elasticity is a measure of the percentage change in one variable in response to a one percent change in another variable, when both variables are expressed in logarithmic form. It is commonly used in economics and finance to measure the sensitivity of a quantity to changes in another quantity.

How is a logarithmic elasticity calculated?

To calculate a logarithmic elasticity, the natural log of the two variables in question is taken, and then the change in the log values is divided by the original value of the first variable. This gives the percentage change in the first variable in response to a one percent change in the second variable.

What are the main uses of logarithmic elasticities?

Logarithmic elasticities are commonly used in economics and finance to measure the responsiveness of variables such as demand and supply to changes in price. They are also used in statistical analysis to measure the relationship between two variables in a non-linear way.

What are the limitations of using logarithmic elasticities?

One limitation of using logarithmic elasticities is that they assume a constant elasticity of response, which may not always be the case. They also assume a linear relationship between the two variables, which may not accurately reflect the true relationship. Additionally, logarithmic elasticities can be difficult to interpret and may not always provide meaningful insights.

Can logarithmic elasticities be negative?

Yes, logarithmic elasticities can be negative, which indicates an inverse relationship between the two variables. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. A negative logarithmic elasticity can also indicate a downward sloping curve between the two variables, such as in the case of a demand curve in economics.