1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic Equations

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    I'm having a lot of trouble on this worksheet I have, I've got most of the 32 questions except for about 5. I won't type out all the laws of logarithms as I assume that anyone coming in here to help me already knows them. So here are my questions (By the way, I've done work for them I just won't show it because it seems like I'm stuck where I'm at regardless):

17.) Solve for x:
    [tex](logx)^{logx}-9=0[/tex]

24.) Solve for x, accurate to 2 decimal places
    [tex]log_{4}x+log_{5}x=8.7[/tex]

26.) Simplify completely.
    [tex]\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{ab}x}-\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{b}x}[/tex]

32.) Simplify/solve for x.
    [tex]ln^{2}x+lnx^{3}+2=0[/tex]

33.) Simplify/solve for x.
    [tex]\frac{e^{x}+e^{-x}}{2}=k[/tex]

Thank you for the help, I'm sorry about asking so many questions I just am really struggling on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2
    Ok I did 26 and got this:

[tex]\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{ab}x}-\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{b}x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{logx}{loga}(\frac{logab}{logx})-\frac{logx}{loga}(\frac{logb}{logx})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{logab}{loga} - \frac{logb}{loga}[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}ab - log_{a}b[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}\frac{ab}{b}[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}a[/tex]

= 1

So I think I got 26, is that right?

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

I haven't checked your calculations, but that is the right approach. You can use the same idea to solve 24 (convert the logs to the same base)

With a judicious use of a another logarithm rule you can convert 32 to a quadratic equation in [tex] \ln x [/tex]

Multiplication by a correctly chosen exponential function (and clearing the fraction by multiplying everything by 2) will convert the final one to a quadratic equation in [tex] e^x [/tex]

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    Ok thank you, I have figured them all out now so it's good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?