Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Logarithmic Equations

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    I'm having a lot of trouble on this worksheet I have, I've got most of the 32 questions except for about 5. I won't type out all the laws of logarithms as I assume that anyone coming in here to help me already knows them. So here are my questions (By the way, I've done work for them I just won't show it because it seems like I'm stuck where I'm at regardless):

17.) Solve for x:
    [tex](logx)^{logx}-9=0[/tex]

24.) Solve for x, accurate to 2 decimal places
    [tex]log_{4}x+log_{5}x=8.7[/tex]

26.) Simplify completely.
    [tex]\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{ab}x}-\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{b}x}[/tex]

32.) Simplify/solve for x.
    [tex]ln^{2}x+lnx^{3}+2=0[/tex]

33.) Simplify/solve for x.
    [tex]\frac{e^{x}+e^{-x}}{2}=k[/tex]

Thank you for the help, I'm sorry about asking so many questions I just am really struggling on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2
    Ok I did 26 and got this:

[tex]\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{ab}x}-\frac{log_{a}x}{log_{b}x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{logx}{loga}(\frac{logab}{logx})-\frac{logx}{loga}(\frac{logb}{logx})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{logab}{loga} - \frac{logb}{loga}[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}ab - log_{a}b[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}\frac{ab}{b}[/tex]

[tex]log_{a}a[/tex]

= 1

So I think I got 26, is that right?

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

I haven't checked your calculations, but that is the right approach. You can use the same idea to solve 24 (convert the logs to the same base)

With a judicious use of a another logarithm rule you can convert 32 to a quadratic equation in [tex] \ln x [/tex]

Multiplication by a correctly chosen exponential function (and clearing the fraction by multiplying everything by 2) will convert the final one to a quadratic equation in [tex] e^x [/tex]

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    Ok thank you, I have figured them all out now so it's good.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook