Why is my computer giving different answers for logarithmic laws?

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the conversation is about the use of a computer program to calculate the integral of 1/(3x+1). The program is giving different answers when different values are plugged in, causing confusion. The reason for this is that the derivative of log(x) only applies when the base is e, and in general, the derivative of log_{a}(x) is 1/(x*ln(a)). This could be the reason why the computer is giving a different answer.
alingy1
I'm using this computer program:
It tells me that:
log(x+1/3)=log(3x+1)
Why is that so? I plug in values: they give different answers...!

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I'm using this computer program:
It tells me that:
log(x+1/3)=log(3x+1)
Why is that so? I plug in values: they give different answers...!

[tex]\log(3x+1)=\log(3(x+1/3))=\log(3)+\log(x+1/3)[/tex]

Since [itex]\log(3)\neq 0[/itex] for any base of log, something more elusive must be happening.

The reason I am asking this is that I am trying to calculate the integral of 1/(3x+1).
I found it equals (1/3)(integral of (1/(x+1/3))=1/3ln((x+1/3)). But, the computer says it is wrong!

alingy1 said:
The reason I am asking this is that I am trying to calculate the integral of 1/(3x+1).
I found it equals (1/3)(integral of (1/(x+1/3))=1/3ln((x+1/3)). But, the computer says it is wrong!

[tex]\frac{d(\log{x})}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

only applies when the base of log is e (usually denoted ln(x)). In general,

[tex]\frac{d(\log_{a}{x})}{dx}=\frac{1}{x\ln{a}}[/tex] since [tex]\log_{a}{x}=\frac{\ln{x}}{\ln{a}}[/tex] hence [tex]\frac{d(\log_{a}{x})}{dx} = \frac{d(\frac{\ln{x}}{\ln{a}})}{dx}=\frac{1}{\ln{a}}\frac{d(\ln{x})}{dx}=\frac{1}{\ln{a}}\cdot\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Maybe your computer is using a base other than e?

What is the definition of logarithmic laws application?

Logarithmic laws application refers to the use of mathematical rules and principles related to logarithms to solve problems and equations in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

What are the basic logarithmic laws?

The basic logarithmic laws include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. These laws govern how logarithms behave in relation to multiplication, division, exponentiation, and changing the base of a logarithm.

How are logarithmic laws applied in real-world situations?

Logarithmic laws are used in a variety of real-world situations, such as calculating the pH of a solution in chemistry, determining the intensity of an earthquake in seismology, and analyzing the growth of populations in biology. They are also used in financial and economic models, as well as in computer science and data analysis.

What are some common mistakes when applying logarithmic laws?

One common mistake when applying logarithmic laws is forgetting to use the correct base when solving equations. Another mistake is not applying the laws in the correct order, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check calculations to avoid these errors.

Can logarithmic laws be applied to negative numbers?

No, logarithmic laws cannot be applied to negative numbers or zero. This is because logarithms are undefined for negative numbers and the logarithm of zero is negative infinity. Therefore, when using logarithmic laws, it is important to only work with positive numbers.