1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic p-series

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to textbooks, the logarithmic p-series given by
    [tex]\sum_{n=2}^n \frac{1}{n \ ln(n)^p } [\tex] and should converge when p>1 and diverge when [tex]p \leq 1 [\tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Using MathCad (version 11 to 14), I find that the corresponding integral
    [tex]int_{2}^{infty} \frac {1}{x \ {ln(x)}^p} dx [\tex] always converges. For instance, for p=0.6, I find that the integral becomes 49.916 (instead of diverging)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have never before encountered a problem with MathCad, so this discrepancy is really surprising. I'm just curious about reactions or observations of similar problems with MathCad.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I don't use MatCad, however the numerical answer you provide me implies that MathCad integrates numerically (as opposed to symbolically, like Mathematicia). It may happen that MathCad is using a numerical integration technique that isn't effective over infinite regions of integration.

Perhaps we could try an experiment? On MathCad, please integrate 1/x between 1 and infinity, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it gave some finite answer. Both integrands in question, 1/x and the p integral, may appear to have a finite integral, they do have some properties required, such as terms approaching zero.

To see why your corresponding integral actually doesn't always converge, use the fundamental theorem of calculus after a substitution.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried the integral you mentioned but this resulted in no answer (not convergent).

5. Dec 7, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Why does showing that it is not convergent mean there is no answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?