Solving Logarithmic Series Homework: Find x Values

In summary, the problem involves finding the possible values of x for two equations involving a function f(x) that is twice differentiable. The first equation is f(x+0.5)<f(x-0.5) and the second equation is f(|x|+e-1)<f(|x|+e-2)+1. Simplifying the equations leads to ln x= f(x+1)- f(x). The only other given information is that f(x) has two distinct constants. This means that the order of the differential equation is equal to the number of distinct arbitrary constants. To solve the problem, you can rewrite the equations in terms of y=x-1/2 and use the fact that f(y+1
ritwik06

Homework Statement

[tex]x=\frac{1+\frac{f(x+1)}{1!}+\frac{f^{2}(x+1)}{2!}+\frac{f^{3}(x+1)}{3!}+...}{1+\frac{f(x)}{1!}+\frac{f^{2}(x)}{2!}+\frac{f^{3}(x)}{3!}+...}[/tex]
f(x) is a twice differentaible equation.
1. Find the possible values of x when;
f(x+0.5)<f(x-0.5)
2. Find the possible values of x when;
f(|x|+e-1)<f(|x|+e-2)+1

The Attempt at a Solution

On simplifying i get:
ln x= f(x+1)- f(x)
The only other data given is that f(x) is twice differentiable, which just means that when the function is expressed it will have two distinct constants, right? How shall I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would "twice differentiable" say anything about constants?

HallsofIvy said:
Why would "twice differentiable" say anything about constants?

The order of differential equation is equal to number of distinct arbitrary constants. Right?
If not, tell me how can I do these?

I have shown everything I knew! Please help!

There is no differential equation here!

x+ 1/2= x- 1/2+ 1 so f(x+ 1/2)= f((x-1/2)+1). Saying that f(x+1/2)< f(x- 1/2) means that f((x-1/2)+ 1)< f(x- 1/2) or f(y+ 1)< f(y) with y= x- 1/2. So what is ln(y) and what does that tell you about x?

1. What is a logarithmic series?

A logarithmic series is a mathematical series where the terms increase or decrease by a constant ratio. In other words, each term is the previous term multiplied by a fixed number. It is written in the form of logb(x), where b is the base and x is the value being raised to the power.

2. How do you solve logarithmic series?

To solve a logarithmic series, you need to use the properties of logarithms. This includes the product, quotient, and power rules. You also need to know how to convert between different bases and how to solve equations involving logarithms. It is important to use a calculator or logarithmic tables to simplify the calculations.

3. What is the purpose of finding x values in a logarithmic series?

The purpose of finding x values in a logarithmic series is to determine the value of x that satisfies the given equation. This is important in solving real-world problems that involve exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, or compound interest.

4. How do you find x values in a logarithmic series?

To find x values in a logarithmic series, you need to isolate the logarithmic term on one side of the equation and use the properties of logarithms to simplify it. Then, you can use the inverse operation of the logarithm, which is exponentiation, to find the value of x. Remember to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a logarithmic series to find x values?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation log2(x) = 3, we can use the exponentiation property to rewrite it as 23 = x. Therefore, x = 8. We can check this answer by plugging it back into the original equation: log2(8) = 3, which is true. So, the solution to this logarithmic series is x = 8.