1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic Spirals

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a logarithmic spiral. How can I find the length of the spiral (curve) from the origin to point X on the curve? The distance between the origin and the point is given (we can call that the radius) and the distance between the origin and point A is given which this is the same between points A and B and C. Point X is on the spiral with an indicated arrow pointing towards it. The location, therefore, the angle between the origin and this point is unknown. However the distance is known. How can I find the total length of the spiral from the origin to point X?

Mod note: The text above is from the oversized image originally posted. A cropped version of the image is below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57047&stc=1&d=1364122742.jpg

2. Relevant equations

1. ##r=ae^{b\theta}##
    2. ##L=r\theta##

3. The attempt at a solution

Do I need to solve for theta then use L=r(theta) to find the total length?
    I'm having troubles finding the terms for the first equation.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is a good idea.
    You know that A and B satisfy the equation for the spiral. This allows to determine a and b.

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    Are you referring to the points A and B? So my values at point A and B correspond to the a and b terms in the equation?

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Sure
    No. The names are a bit misleading in that respect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted