What is the relationship between depth and pressure in water?

In summary: And yes, an inexperienced diver blowing his BCD to rocket to the surface fast enough to rise chest-high out of...Shallow water diving.In summary, decompression in shallow water is linear. At 33ft, a diver is at 1.25atm, at 66ft, they are at 3atm.
I've tried to be subtle here and I've tried to be nice.

The free surface of any liquid on this planet is subject to the local atmospheric pressure on the gas side of the boundary. This is balanced exactly by liquid hydrostatic pressure on the liquid side of the boundary. At sea level this pressure is defined as 1 atmosphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Studiot said:
I've tried to be subtle here and I've tried to be nice.

The free surface of any liquid on this planet is subject to the local atmospheric pressure on the gas side of the boundary. This is balanced exactly by liquid hydrostatic pressure on the liquid side of the boundary. At sea level this pressure is defined as 1 atmosphere.

No, this is not true. Pressure gets transmitted through bulk materials in all directions. The pressure at the sea level is solely due to the column of air above it, hence it is atmospheric and has no hydrostatic contribution.

So are you are saying that the air pushes on the liquid, but the liquid does not push back equally on the air?

Studiot said:
So are you are saying that the air pushes on the liquid, but the liquid does not push back equally on the air?

So, let me ask you this. According to you, the pressure at any height is caused not only by the column of air + water above you pushing down due to its own weight, but also because the column of air + water below you pushes upwards. Pray tell, how does the pressure exerted on the object depend on the depth of the column of air + water below you?