What are the formulas to solve for logarithms and exponents?

In summary, the conversation discussed logarithmic equations and exponential growth, specifically in relation to bacterial cell division. The formula for changing bases in logarithms was also mentioned. Two different equations were presented to solve for the time it takes for the vial to fill up and for the vial to be a certain fraction full. The formulas presented by the teacher were found to be essentially the same, just in different forms.
Intr3pid
hello everyone

I'm really stuck on logs. My teacher doesn't take pride in her work and teaches very sloppy stuff. I was wondering if I can get help with these questions.

1) log to the base 3 of x - log to the base 6 of x = 2

2) a lab tecnician places a bacterial cell into a vial at 5 am. The cells divide in such a way that the number of cells doubles every 4 minutes. The vial is full 1 hour later.

a) how long does it take fot the cells to divide to 4095?

b) at what time is the vial full?

c) at what time is the vial 1/16 full?

for #2, how do you know which "formula" to use. My teacher presented me with 3 formulas:

Ptotal = Pone x e^kt
Atotal = Aone x C^t/p
A = Pe^it

e= is the irrational number 2.71828...

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far ?

Here are some general rules

[tex]log_a(AB) = log_a(A) + log_a(B)[/tex]
[tex]log_a(A/B) = log_a(A) - log_a(B)[/tex]
[tex]log_a(A^n) = nlog_a(A) [/tex]
To change base :
[tex]log_a(A) = \frac{log_b(A)}{log_b(a)}[/tex]

and finally
[tex]ln(x) = log_e(x)[/tex]
[tex]log_a(x) = B <--> a^B = x[/tex]

marlon

EDIT : Here is some more

Last edited:
Intr3pid said:
hello everyone
I'm really stuck on logs. My teacher doesn't take pride in her work and teaches very sloppy stuff. I was wondering if I can get help with these questions.
1) log to the base 3 of x - log to the base 6 of x = 2
When dealing with logarithms to different bases it is best to remember the formula
[tex]log_a(x)= \frac{log x}{log a}[/itex]
where the logarithms on the right side can be to any base.
In your problem
[tex]log_3 x- log_6 x= \frac{log x}{log 3}- \frac{log x}{log 6}= 2[/tex]
add those fractions and then use some of the "laws of logarithms" marlon listed.
2) a lab tecnician places a bacterial cell into a vial at 5 am. The cells divide in such a way that the number of cells doubles every 4 minutes. The vial is full 1 hour later.
a) how long does it take fot the cells to divide to 4095?
for #2, how do you know which "formula" to use. My teacher presented me with 3 formulas:
Ptotal = Pone x e^kt
Atotal = Aone x C^t/p
A = Pe^it
e= is the irrational number 2.71828...
thanks in advance
Actually those formulas are basically the same formula in different guises.
The third is exactly the same as the first with A= Ptotal, P= Pone,and i= k.
The second is more subtle but is basically the same.
One way to do this problem using the first or third equations: When t= 0, ek0= e00 so Ptotal= Pone= 1 since there was one bacterium when t= 0. After 4 minutes, that bacterium has doubled to 2 bacteria: as long as t is measured in minutes, Ptotal= 2= 1(ek*4) so e4k= 2. Taking ln of both sides k= (1/4)ln(2). Now you know that Ptotal= e(ln 2)(t/4). To answer (a), solve the equation
e(ln 2)t= 4095 for t.
Another way, using the second equation above: Since the number of bacteria double every 4 minutes, we could just multiply by t every 4 minutes: if t is measured in minutes, that means we double every t/4 so
Atotal= Aone (2)t/4. Again, if t= 0, Atotal= 1= Aone so the formula is just Atotal= 2t/4. Solve 2t/4= 4095 to t. You can get a good approximation to that by recognizing that 4096 (4K to our computer friends) is 212.
Those two formulas: Atotal= 2t/4 and Ptotal= e(ln 2)(t/4) are exactly the same because, using the formulas marlon gave, (ln 2)t= ln(2t) and [itex]e^{ln(2^t}= 2^t.

Well, you were told one hour (60 minutes) weren't you?

jWork backwards from one hour. Since the number of bacteria double every 4 minutes, 4 minutes before the hour (56 minutes) the vial must have been 1/2 full. 4 minutes before that (52 minutes) the vial must have been 1/4 full, etc.

HallsofIvy said:
When dealing with logarithms to different bases it is best to remember the formula
[tex]log_a(x)= \frac{log x}{log a}[/itex]
where the logarithms on the right side can be to any base.
In your problem
add those fractions and then use some of the "laws of logarithms" marlon listed.
Actually those formulas are basically the same formula in different guises.
The third is exactly the same as the first with A= Ptotal, P= Pone,and i= k.
The second is more subtle but is basically the same.
One way to do this problem using the first or third equations: When t= 0, ek0= e00 so Ptotal= Pone= 1 since there was one bacterium when t= 0. After 4 minutes, that bacterium has doubled to 2 bacteria: as long as t is measured in minutes, Ptotal= 2= 1(ek*4) so e4k= 2. Taking ln of both sides k= (1/4)ln(2). Now you know that Ptotal= e(ln 2)(t/4). To answer (a), solve the equation
e(ln 2)t= 4095 for t.
Another way, using the second equation above: Since the number of bacteria double every 4 minutes, we could just multiply by t every 4 minutes: if t is measured in minutes, that means we double every t/4 so
Atotal= Aone (2)t/4. Again, if t= 0, Atotal= 1= Aone so the formula is just Atotal= 2t/4. Solve 2t/4= 4095 to t. You can get a good approximation to that by recognizing that 4096 (4K to our computer friends) is 212.
Those two formulas: Atotal= 2t/4 and Ptotal= e(ln 2)(t/4) are exactly the same because, using the formulas marlon gave, (ln 2)t= ln(2t) and [itex]e^{ln(2^t}= 2^t.
Well, you were told one hour (60 minutes) weren't you?
jWork backwards from one hour. Since the number of bacteria double every 4 minutes, 4 minutes before the hour (56 minutes) the vial must have been 1/2 full. 4 minutes before that (52 minutes) the vial must have been 1/4 full, etc.

i was wondering how u add log fractions?

Intr3pid said:
i was wondering how u add log fractions?
If you mean fractions like this the one HallofIvy described for your part (1),
just factor out log(x) from each fraction, what you have left after evaluating the logs in denominators) are two contants which can be subtracted. The right side is still a value of 2. You can now solve the resulting equation algebraically for log(x).

The same way you do any fractions!
[tex](log x)\frac{1}{log 3}-\frac{1}log 6}= 2[/tex]
[tex](log x)\frac{log 6- log 3}{(log 6)(log 3)}= 2[/tex]
[tex](log x)\frac{log 2}{(log 6)(log 3)}= 2[/tex]
[tex]log x= \frac{2(log 6)(log 3)}{log 2}[/itex]
Use your calculator to find the right hand side, then solve for x.

That's what I said. But after the 2nd line that HallsofIvy derived,
I algebraically rearranged terms..
logx = 2/[(1/log3) - (1/log6)]
and evaluated the right handside with a calculator.
If you are asked to solve for x, just take the inverse log.

Last edited:

What is the difference between a logarithm and an exponent?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of an exponent. An exponent represents the number of times a base is multiplied by itself, while a logarithm represents the power that the base needs to be raised to in order to get a certain number.

What is the purpose of using logarithms and exponents in scientific calculations?

Logarithms and exponents are useful in making complex calculations more manageable. They allow for easier manipulation of large numbers and are often used in equations involving growth and decay.

How do you solve equations involving logarithms and exponents?

To solve equations involving logarithms and exponents, you need to use the properties of logarithms and exponents to simplify the equation. Then, use algebraic methods to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

What are the common applications of logarithms and exponents in everyday life?

Logarithms and exponents are used in a variety of fields, such as finance, biology, and chemistry. In everyday life, they are used in calculating interest rates, measuring sound levels, and calculating pH levels.

How do you convert between logarithmic and exponential form?

To convert from logarithmic form to exponential form, use the base of the logarithm as the base of the exponential expression and set the result equal to the exponent. To convert from exponential form to logarithmic form, use the base of the exponential expression as the base of the logarithm and set the result equal to the exponent.