Solving Logarithmic Equations: Log(3-x) + Log(3+x) = Log5

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is discussing about solving a log equation and one person is asking for help while the other is providing guidance. The solution involves using the properties of logarithms and finding the value of x to be ±2. There is also a mention of a different way to solve the problem using formulas.
ms. confused
OK I am completely lost :eek: on this log equation:

log(3-x) + log(3+x) = log5

Does anyone get an answer of ±2? If so HOW did you do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that log(a) + log(b) = log(ab).

--J

Exactly, so this is what I did:

log(x^2 - 9) = log5

(x^2 -14) = 0

not even close to what I'm supposed to get, no idea how to factor what I just got!

How'd you get from

log(x^2 - 9) = log5

to

(x^2 -14) = 0

Are you sure you can do that?

--J

ms. confused said:
Exactly, so this is what I did:

log(x^2 - 9) = log5

(x^2 -14) = 0

First of all, I think you expanded that wrong.
Secondly, that's not how you "undo" a log.

log(3-x) + log(3+x) = log5
log[(3-x)(3+x)] = log5
log(9 - x^2) = log5
9 - x^2 = 5
4 = x^2
x = +- 2

So, basically I shouldn't have changed (3-x) to (x-3) or (3+x) to (x+3)?

there is another way to solve this problem, using the following formulas.
[tex]log(\alpha)+log(\beta)=log(\alpha\cdot\beta)[/tex]
[tex]log(\alpha)-log(\beta)=log(\frac{\alpha}{\beta})[/tex]

about your second question :
[tex](x+3)=(3+x)[/tex]
[tex](x-3)\not=(3-x)[/tex]

ShawnD said:
Secondly, that's not how you "undo" a log.

My high school math teacher used to call it "dropping logs". I always found that funny.

:tongue:

1. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations, first simplify the equation by combining any like terms and using logarithmic properties. Then, isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and exponentiate both sides to eliminate the logarithm. Finally, solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

2. What are the properties of logarithmic equations?

The properties of logarithmic equations include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. These properties can be used to simplify logarithmic expressions and solve logarithmic equations.

3. How do I apply the product rule to solve logarithmic equations?

The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. In the equation Log(3-x) + Log(3+x) = Log5, the product rule can be applied to rewrite the equation as Log[(3-x)(3+x)] = Log5. This simplifies the equation to (3-x)(3+x) = 5, which can be further simplified and solved.

4. Can I use the quotient rule to solve logarithmic equations?

Yes, the quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms. This rule can be applied to solve logarithmic equations by rewriting the equation as Log[(3-x)/(3+x)] = Log5 and then solving for the variable.

5. What is the change of base formula and how is it used to solve logarithmic equations?

The change of base formula states that the logarithm of a number in one base can be rewritten as the logarithm of the same number in a different base divided by the logarithm of the new base. This formula can be used to solve logarithmic equations by converting the equation into a base that is easier to work with, such as base 10 or base e.