Solve for Log(base5)36 in Terms of x and y | Logarithms Question

• Thread starter seiferseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, if log2 = x and log3 = y, we can solve for log(base5)36 by first using the definition of logarithm to find the values of x and y. Then, we can use the formula log(basea)b = logb / loga to find the value of log(base5)10. Finally, we can use the formula log(basea)b = logb / loga to find the value of log(base5)36. Alternatively, a direct approach would have led to the simpler formula log(basea)b = logb / loga. However, it is important to note that the handwritten work posted by the individual in the conversation is incorrect as it is solving for log(base5)36
seiferseph
if log2 = x and log3 = y, solve for log(base5)36 in terms of x and y.

how do i even get started on this? I'm really confused with logs.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This seems like a rather roundabout way of doing things. In any case ...

I assume those logarithms are base 10 in which case, by definition of logarithm, we have

[tex]10^x = 2[/tex]
[tex]10^y = 3[/tex]

Let [itex]z = \log_5 10[/itex] which means [itex]5^z = 10[/itex]. But

[tex]5 = 2 + 3 = 10^x + 10^y[/tex]

so that

[tex]5^z = \left(10^x + 10^y\right)^z = 10[/tex]

IOW I'm not sure I see the point of the problem!

from which

[tex]z \log \left( 10^x + 10^z\right) = \log 10 = 1[/tex]

and finally

[tex]z = \frac {1}{\log \left( 10^x + 10^z \right)}[/tex]

Of course, a direct approach would have led to

[tex]\log_5 10 = \frac {\log 10}{\log_{10} 5} = \frac {1}{\log 5}[/tex]

thanks, but I'm not sure if that is correct (the teacher actually said it was quite simple). the last question was something like a^2 + b^2 for the answer. i'll post a little bit of what i got, I'm not sure if this is right

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 453
Do you realize that your original question is about log_5(10), but the handwritten thing you posted now is about log_5(36)?

Muzza said:
Do you realize that your original question is about log_5(10), but the handwritten thing you posted now is about log_5(36)?

now i do :blushing: its supposed to be log_5(36)

What are logarithms and how do they work?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that help us solve equations involving exponential expressions. They answer the question, "What power do we need to raise this number to in order to get another number?" For example, the logarithm of 100 to the base 10 is 2, because 10 raised to the power of 2 is 100.

Why are logarithms useful in science?

Logarithms are useful in science because they allow us to transform multiplicative relationships into additive relationships. This makes it easier to analyze data and perform calculations. They are also commonly used in scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.718. Common logarithms use the base 10. While natural logarithms are commonly used in calculus and advanced mathematics, common logarithms are often used in practical applications and can be found on most scientific calculators.

How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you must use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic techniques. It is important to check your solutions to make sure they are valid in the original equation.

What are some real-world applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in a variety of real-world applications, including earthquake magnitude scales, pH scale for measuring acidity, and sound intensity levels. They are also used in finance, population growth models, and radioactive decay calculations.