Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logging out isn't ok

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    I just logged out, and when I watched the thread into which I had been posting, I saw the orange "online" text after my username. I was logged out though, in a sense that there wasn't "My PF" ... "Log out" links in the top bar.

This is some bug, that manifests itself at some unpredictable occasions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    I bet you were seeing a cached page.
  4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    I'm not sure what "cached" means (I'm not internet guru), but I did press reload/refresh button of my firefox, and the online text wasn't disappearing. I could swear that I saw the online text, and the My PF and Log Out links missing, at the same time, but I didn't take a screenshot of that. I was planning logging in and posting that I would take a screenshot next time I see this, and I saw this:

I'm logged in, and it says offline after my username. I'm not sure if that is serious though... perhaps the online text just appeared with some delay?
  5. Aug 19, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Clearing your cache should solve the problem (tools>clear private data in firefox)
  6. Aug 21, 2008 #5
    I encountered this again, and clicking Tools -> Clear Private Data and reload/refresh didn't change it. I was seeing this:

I'm not logged in, but my username is online. I've never been able to reproduce the effect though, so I don't know when precisely this happens.
  7. Aug 21, 2008 #6

Gold Member

I have another problem! I log out but when I come back, I see I'm still loged in! :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?