Logic and Semantics in Reasoning

• Thread starter Royce
  • Start date
Originally posted by wuliheron
Some say philosophy is the pursuit of truth, but this pursuit of truth has been used to justify genocide and countless other horrors. If that is the "truth", I want nothing to do with it. I'll go back to talking to my floor instead, at least it never lets me down or led me astray. :0)
Philosophy, in its final form is truth, or at least you could argue this. Things such as justification of genocide and "other horrors" are not end products of philosophy, but manipulating philosophy and stopping before the end to prove what you want to justify.

I also don't think some philosophies apply to our industrialized world. I think our minds work, through philosophy, in a natural way, which would not include how we live today.

BoulderHead

Originally posted by wuliheron
Yeah, BH, that was the Pythagoreans again. Notably, they were mystics who discovered much of the foundations of mathematics and physics. When confronted with the invention of irrational numbers that defied their mystical interpretation of life, their organization fell apart.
ah hah, thanks. I think they killed someone for spilling the beans too.

The BoulderHead definition of Optimist;
An informed pessimist.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
ah hah, thanks. I think they killed someone for spilling the beans too.

The BoulderHead definition of Optimist;
An informed pessimist.
Or a self-deluded pessimist LOL. :0)

I always thought it was the other way around.
A pessimist is an informed optimist. I might add the word reformed in there too.

As I see it: Both pessimists and optimists are opinionated realists.